On 08/18/2017 11:13 AM, Grant Taylor wrote: > Thanks to your help Daniel, I believe I have something that I can start > using and deal with any annoyances as they come up. :-) As sure as I sent the email, I stubbed my toe on something else. "ipc" expands to ipcalc ipcmk ipcrm ipcs. Adding "a" and hitting space would not complete ipcalc with my last script Slightly tweaking things does: maybe-expand-or-complete() { if [[ $LBUFFER[-1] != ' ' && "$JUSTCOMPLETED" != $LBUFFER ]]; then zle expand-or-complete if [[ $LBUFFER[-1] != ' ' ]]; then JUSTCOMPLETED=$LBUFFER fi else unset JUSTCOMPLETED zle self-insert fi } zle -N maybe-expand-or-complete bindkey ' ' maybe-expand-or-complete setopt recexact This version checks to see if the last completion matches the current line buffer. If they differ, expand-or-complete. Thank you again Daniel. -- Grant. . . . unix || die