On 2024-01-14 12:13, Lawrence Velázquez wrote: > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_complexity#Table_of_common_time_complexities Yikes!  I'm sorry I asked.  Thanks tho, but that's scary stuff. >> Seems to me that >> at a first estimation one might want: >> >> 1) Full exact copy -- byte identical including blanks, newlines, >> trailing stuff and naughty chars. slurp. > Reading an entire file into a variable is often -- not always, but > often -- a red flag that suggests the entire script is poorly > designed. It uses more memory and makes it difficult to feed the > data to external utilties (although the latter is less of a concern > with zsh in particular, which relies on external utilities less > than other shells do). I appreciate  the historical context.  Much is understandable when you know the history. > Elision of empty values is a property of unquoted expansion. It > has NOTHING to do with variable types. I'll take another look, thanks.  I may have gotten my wires crossed. >