zsh-users
* ehh... zsh: correct 'cvs' to '_cvs' [nyae]? n
@ 2001-07-11 11:30 Andrew Markebo
From: Andrew Markebo @ 2001-07-11 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi!

I am an old zsh-user, getting back to this wonderful shell now.. :-)
Meanwhile I have started with one minor problem, what have I done
wrong now??

Commandline correction.. which parameter have I now set wrong??

aes@NOCTURN:Jul04<130> cvs --help-options
zsh: correct 'cvs' to '_cvs' [nyae]? n
CVS global options (specified before the command name) are:

aes@NOCTURN:Jul04<0> grep
zsh: correct 'grep' to 'zgrep' [nyae]? n
Usage: grep [OPTION]... PATTERN [FILE]...

        /Andy

* Re: ehh... zsh: correct 'cvs' to '_cvs' [nyae]? n
@ 2001-07-11 17:15 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2001-07-11 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Markebo, zsh-users

On Jul 11,  1:30pm, Andrew Markebo wrote:
} Subject: ehh... zsh: correct 'cvs' to '_cvs' [nyae]? n
}
} Commandline correction.. which parameter have I now set wrong??
}
} aes@NOCTURN:Jul04<130> cvs --help-options
} zsh: correct 'cvs' to '_cvs' [nyae]? n
}
} aes@NOCTURN:Jul04<0> grep
} zsh: correct 'grep' to 'zgrep' [nyae]? n

My guess would be that you have *not* set one of either the HASH_CMDS
or HASH_DIRS setopts (or rather, that you have unsetopt'd them, as
they are on by default).

Does the above happen every time, or only the first time you use a
particular command, or sporadically?

The other possibility is that there are directories in your $PATH that
are automounted or some such, so that the command does not appear to
be available until zsh actually attempts to execute it.

Aside to zsh-workers:  Regardless of the above, this really shouldn't
happen.  I'd hate to suggest special-casing a leading underscore in the
correction code.  Other possibilities?

* Re: ehh... zsh: correct 'cvs' to '_cvs' [nyae]? n
@ 2001-07-11 19:20   ` Andrew Markebo
From: Andrew Markebo @ 2001-07-11 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: zsh-users

Just a thought.. I picked the source for zsh and compiled it under
cygwin.. Forgot to mention which platform before.

/ "Bart Schaefer" <schaefer@candle.brasslantern.com> wrote:
| On Jul 11,  1:30pm, Andrew Markebo wrote:
| } Subject: ehh... zsh: correct 'cvs' to '_cvs' [nyae]? n
| }
| } Commandline correction.. which parameter have I now set wrong??
| }
| } aes@NOCTURN:Jul04<130> cvs --help-options
| } zsh: correct 'cvs' to '_cvs' [nyae]? n
| }
| } aes@NOCTURN:Jul04<0> grep
| } zsh: correct 'grep' to 'zgrep' [nyae]? n
|
| My guess would be that you have *not* set one of either the HASH_CMDS
| or HASH_DIRS setopts (or rather, that you have unsetopt'd them, as
| they are on by default).

I tried setopt HASH_CMDS and HASH_DIRS.. still same problem..

[-- Attachment #2: My .zed files --]
[-- Type: application/x-gzip, Size: 3987 bytes --]

| Does the above happen every time, or only the first time you use a
| particular command, or sporadically?

Everytime..
[logged in]
aes@NOCTURN:/<0> grep foo bash.bat
zsh: correct 'grep' to 'zgrep' [nyae]? n
aes@NOCTURN:/<1> grep foo bash.bat
zsh: correct 'grep' to 'zgrep' [nyae]? n
aes@NOCTURN:/<1> grep foo bash.bat
zsh: correct 'grep' to 'zgrep' [nyae]? n

aes@NOCTURN:/<1> which grep
/bin/grep
aes@NOCTURN:/<0> which zgrep
/bin/zgrep

aes@NOCTURN:/<0> cvs
zsh: correct 'cvs' to '_cvs' [nyae]? n
aes@NOCTURN:/<1> which cvs
/cygdrive/c/program files/gnu/wincvs 1.2/cvs
aes@NOCTURN:/<0> which _cvs
_cvs () {
        # undefined
        builtin autoload -XU
}

| The other possibility is that there are directories in your $PATH that
| are automounted or some such, so that the command does not appear to
| be available until zsh actually attempts to execute it.

path=(/bin /usr/bin /usr/local/bin /sbin /usr/sbin /usr/local/sbin
        /cygdrive/c/WINNT/system32 /cygdrive/c/WINNT
        /cygdrive/c/WINNT/System32/Wbem
        /cygdrive/c/atria/bin '/cygdrive/c/program files/gnu/wincvs 1.2'
        /cygdrive/c/LiteStep/)

| Aside to zsh-workers:  Regardless of the above, this really shouldn't
| happen.  I'd hate to suggest special-casing a leading underscore in the
| correction code.  Other possibilities?

aes@NOCTURN:/<0> scp myset master:
zsh: correct 'scp' to 'cp' [nyae]? n
aes@NOCTURN:/<0> which scp
/bin/scp

        /Andy

p.s. Bart sorry for duplicate, forgot to send the reply to the list also.

* Re: ehh... zsh: correct 'cvs' to '_cvs' [nyae]? n
@ 2001-07-11 22:19     ` Michael Schaap
       [not found]       ` <Pine.SV4.4.33.0107120935080.11121-100000@itsrm2.mow.siemen s.ru>
From: Michael Schaap @ 2001-07-11 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Markebo, Bart Schaefer; +Cc: zsh-users

At 21:20 11-7-2001, Andrew Markebo wrote:
>Just a thought.. I picked the source for zsh and compiled it under
>cygwin.. Forgot to mention which platform before.

Oh yes, that makes a difference!

I posted to the list about this problem a short while ago.  Check the
archives for a thread "Zsh observations".  Andrej Borsenkow sent a patch
that fixes the problem.

(The problem is that zsh doesn't find "/bin/cvs", but
"/bin/cvs.exe".  Therefore, it tries to correct "cvs" to the closest it can
find, which is the autoloaded "_cvs" function.)

  - Michael

* Re: ehh... zsh: correct 'cvs' to '_cvs' [nyae]? n
@ 2001-07-12  5:37       ` Andrej Borsenkow
       [not found]       ` <Pine.SV4.4.33.0107120935080.11121-100000@itsrm2.mow.siemen s.ru>
From: Andrej Borsenkow @ 2001-07-12  5:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Schaap; +Cc: Andrew Markebo, Bart Schaefer, zsh-users

On Thu, 12 Jul 2001, Michael Schaap wrote:

> At 21:20 11-7-2001, Andrew Markebo wrote:
> >Just a thought.. I picked the source for zsh and compiled it under
> >cygwin.. Forgot to mention which platform before.
>
> Oh yes, that makes a difference!
>
> I posted to the list about this problem a short while ago.  Check the
> archives for a thread "Zsh observations".  Andrej Borsenkow sent a patch
> that fixes the problem.
>
> (The problem is that zsh doesn't find "/bin/cvs", but
> "/bin/cvs.exe".  Therefore, it tries to correct "cvs" to the closest it can
> find, which is the autoloaded "_cvs" function.)

So, once again - should we stop hashing foo.exe (i.e. hash just foo)?
Currently foo.exe is not visible anyway so I cannot see what difference
would it have.

The problem is, of course, =cmd won't be the same as /path/to/cmd.exe. But
it the same with my patch as well.

-andrej

@ 2001-07-12 11:03         ` Michael Schaap
From: Michael Schaap @ 2001-07-12 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

At 07:37 12-7-2001, Andrej Borsenkow wrote:
>On Thu, 12 Jul 2001, Michael Schaap wrote:
>
> > (The problem is that zsh doesn't find "/bin/cvs", but
> > "/bin/cvs.exe".  Therefore, it tries to correct "cvs" to the closest it can
> > find, which is the autoloaded "_cvs" function.)
> >

>So, once again - should we stop hashing foo.exe (i.e. hash just foo)?
>Currently foo.exe is not visible anyway so I cannot see what difference
>would it have.

I don't think we should.  If we would, running
         % ls.exe
would no longer work.  (Bad example - nobody would try this for ls, they
might for other (Windows) executables.  For instance, I could imagine
typing "cmd.exe".)

The way things are done now seem to be the same as for Bash (which is,
after all, the Official Cygwin Shell).  Also in Bash, ls<TAB> is completed
to both "ls" and "ls.exe", and /bin/ls<TAB> is only completed to "/bin/ls.exe".
I think this is the best we can do, without hacking the completion system
itself.

>The problem is, of course, =cmd won't be the same as /path/to/cmd.exe. But
>it the same with my patch as well.

I don't see why that would be a problem.

  - Michael