zsh-users
From: Ray Andrews <rayandrews@eastlink.ca>
To: zsh Users <zsh-users@zsh.org>
Subject: git adventures
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 09:39:30 -0800	[thread overview]

Gitmeisters:

(CAPS NOT YELLING ;-)

    pts/0 HP-y5--5-Debian1 root /aMisc/zsh-code $ git pull --rebase
    Cannot pull with rebase: You have unstaged changes.
    Please commit or stash them.

    pts/0 HP-y5--5-Debian1 root /aMisc/zsh-code $ git pull
    remote: Counting objects: 41, done.
    Unpacking objects: 100% (29/29), done.
     From git://git.code.sf.net/p/zsh/code
        e334119..8505837  master     -> origin/master
    Updating e334119..8505837
    error: Your local changes to the following files would be
    overwritten by merge:

THIS IS JUST TO FIX THAT PROBLEM I HAD WITH 'make check'.  COOL THAT
GIT KNOWS THAT, AND WON'T OVERWRITE IT.

         Test/B06fc.ztst
    Please, commit your changes or stash them before you can merge.
    Aborting

    pts/0 HP-y5--5-Debian1 root /aMisc/zsh-code $ git pull origin master
     From git://git.code.sf.net/p/zsh/code
      * branch            master     -> FETCH_HEAD
    Updating e334119..8505837
    error: Your local changes to the following files would be
    overwritten by merge:
         Test/B06fc.ztst
    Please, commit your changes or stash them before you can merge.
    Aborting

I'VE LEARNED ABOUT 'stage', BUT WHAT IS 'stash'?
HOW DO I commit/stash/stage THAT ONE FILE SO AS TO PROCEED? CAN WE TELL GIT
TO JUST NOT WORRY ABOUT THAT FILE--LEAVE IT BE, BUT PULL EVERYTHING ELSE?
THAT CHANGED FILE IS OBVIOUSLY ONLY OF TEMPORARY VALUE.

FANTASTIC DOC:
http://git-scm.com/book/en/v2

I'M LIKING AND RESPECTING GIT ALREADY. MOST COOL THAT IT CLONES IT'S OWN
ADMINISTRATION HERE AS WELL AS FILES, ALSO THAT IT REMEMBERS WHERE THE
MOTHER SHIP IS. GENUINELY HELPFUL ERROR MESSAGES! HOW UN-LINUX.