zsh-users
From: Ray Andrews <rayandrews@eastlink.ca>
To: zsh-users@zsh.org
Subject: Re: surprise with echo
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 19:55:30 -0800	[thread overview]

On 12/19/2014 06:58 PM, Kurtis Rader wrote:
> Fair enough. And I don't have any objection to the options per se. In
> fact I think the behavior provided by the rc_quotes option should have
> been the default from day one (hindsight is wonderful). What I do
> object to is the implication that the semantics of the rc_expand_param
> option will match that of the rc shell. Yes, the zsh documentation is
> quite clear that isn't true but the name of the option can easily lead
> someone to think otherwise.
My two cents would be (well, er, my 1/2 cent), that it should be the
default, *but* that the little surprise should not be there, a) because
that would be more true to the name of the option, and b) because it
seems harsh to kill an entire string because one element in it is null.
Does that sort of thing happen anywhere else? c) Because the doctrine of
least surprise should be followed.  OTOH Bart just showed how the
surprise can be avoided so ....