On 01/01/2015 06:58 PM, Kurtis Rader wrote: > On Thu, Jan 1, 2015 at 6:39 PM, Ray Andrews > wrote: > > > > The "hardware terminal" you refer to was itself a computer that > executed code. The only difference between it and the "terminal > emulator" you're likely using today is that the former was embedded in > a piece of hardware with a very narrow function Exactly what I was saying. > The whole point of the ANSI X3.64 standard (as partially implemented > by the DEC VT100) was to implement a vi style of insert versus > control mode. The CSI sequence (ESC [) switched the terminal from > "insert" to "control" mode. And once the control command (e.g., clear > screen) was recognized and acted upon the input mode reverted to "insert". > Yeah, ESC is rather obviously a 'control' mode. What I was thinking is that it would end only at the same ESC code again--a toggle--which would/might make the control codes themselves a bit shorter and sweeter. Or not. Maybe it really is easier to have the codes self terminate. Anyway, that's never going to change of course, but interesting to think about.