zsh-users
* missing curses.so
@ 2015-10-02  2:37 Ray Andrews
From: Ray Andrews @ 2015-10-02  2:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Users

After rebuilding everything yesterday I thought everything was fine, but
I see that I'm missing two modules: curses.so and pcre.so.  $module_path
is fine, but looking over my notes from the last time I set myself up to
use git, I see that there is some reference to $LD_LIBRARY_PATH, but
that is not set at all. The ncurses library is installed at
'/lib/i386-linux-gnu/'. I copied the missing .so files from the Debian
versions and they seem to work, but how can I get them to be built?

* Re: missing curses.so
@ 2015-10-03 18:58 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2015-10-03 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Users

On Oct 1,  7:37pm, Ray Andrews wrote:
}
} After rebuilding everything yesterday I thought everything was fine, but
} I see that I'm missing two modules: curses.so and pcre.so.

curses.so gets built if the necessary libraries and headers are found,
so for some reason they were not.

You may need to use the --with-term-lib option to configure, or in
some other way tell the build process where the headers are.

pcre.so is not built unless "configure --enable-pcre ..." is used.

* Re: missing curses.so
@ 2015-10-05  4:44   ` Ray Andrews
From: Ray Andrews @ 2015-10-05  4:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On 10/03/2015 11:58 AM, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On Oct 1,  7:37pm, Ray Andrews wrote:
> }
> } After rebuilding everything yesterday I thought everything was fine, but
> } I see that I'm missing two modules: curses.so and pcre.so.
>
> curses.so gets built if the necessary libraries and headers are found,
> so for some reason they were not.
>
> You may need to use the --with-term-lib option to configure, or in
> some other way tell the build process where the headers are.

> pcre.so is not built unless "configure --enable-pcre ..." is used.
  It seems strange.  I have '/usr/include/ncurses.h' and the thing seems to
find it and then not find it:

configure:5942: checking ncurses.h usability
configure:5942: gcc -c  -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -O2  conftest.c >&5
configure:5942: $? = 0
configure:5942: result: yes

configure:5942: checking ncurses.h presence
configure:5942: gcc -E  conftest.c
configure:5942: $? = 0
configure:5942: result: yes
configure:5942: checking for ncurses.h
configure:5942: result: yes
configure:5942: checking ncursesw/ncurses.h usability
configure:5942: gcc -c  -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -O2  conftest.c >&5
conftest.c:108:30: fatal error: ncursesw/ncurses.h: No such file or
directory

     2$ ./configure --with-term-lib

... shows:

configure: error: "No terminal handling library was found on your system.
This is probably a library called 'curses' or 'ncurses'.  You may
need to install a package called 'curses-devel' or 'ncurses-devel' on your
system."
See `config.log' for more details

... but all these are installed:

i   libncurses5                     - shared libraries for terminal
handling
i   libncurses5-dev                 - developer's libraries for ncurses
i   libncursesw5                    - shared libraries for terminal
handling (wi
i   ncurses-base                    - basic terminal type definitions
i   ncurses-bin                     - terminal-related programs and man
pages
i   ncurses-term                    - additional terminal type definitions

... and I have these:

/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libncurses.so
/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libncurses.so.5
/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libncurses.so.5.9

I finally installed 'libncursesw5-dev' and all is well.  Sheesh, seems
'libncurses5-dev'
doesn't cut it.

* Re: missing curses.so
@ 2015-10-05 17:22     ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2015-10-05 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Oct 4,  9:44pm, Ray Andrews wrote:
} Subject: Re: missing curses.so
}
}   It seems strange.  I have '/usr/include/ncurses.h' and the thing seems to
} find it and then not find it:

It checks first whether it's actually there, and then if it is, it is
checked again as part of the "terminal library search order" to decide
which installed library is the best one to use.

The default order is "ncursesw tinfo termcap ncurses curses" unless you
are using solaris or hpux.  So ncurses will be skipped in favor of
terminfo or termcap because the latter two work better for the purposes
of the main shell (prompts and ZLE), which (I think) will cause the
zsh/curses module not to be compiled.

This is probably a configure.ac bug.

}      2$ ./configure --with-term-lib
}
} ... shows:
}
} configure: error: "No terminal handling library was found on your system.

RTF "INSTALL" file.  --with-term-lib takes an argument.  No argument means
no library.

* Re: missing curses.so
@ 2015-10-05 18:09       ` Ray Andrews
From: Ray Andrews @ 2015-10-05 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On 10/05/2015 10:22 AM, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> RTF "INSTALL" file.  --with-term-lib takes an argument.  No argument means
> no library.
I did, several times, and eventually figured that out.  What with all
the possibilities and options and variations on a theme and libraries
which may or may not work and a config.log that's 20 thousand lines long
it was easy to miss that 'libncurses5-dev' supplies a header that won't
work with the rest of itself, so try 'libncursesw5-dev' and please
notice the 'w'.  Simplicity is not a virtue in shells.