On 2024-06-03 08:33, Mark J. Reed wrote: > In X11 setups back in the day, it wasn't uncommon for the *.xinitrc* > or whatever startup file you use to end with something like *exec > xterm*, so if /that particular instance/ of *xterm* exited, then the > whole window system went away with it. But that's not typical of > modern systems. And even then the computer wouldn't shut down. You'd > just be dropped back at your original shell on the console, or if > you'd also *exec*'ed *xinit*, at a login prompt. Exactly.  My point was rhetorical -- obviously control resumes 'somewhere' in the stack of all these GUI functions.  But it isn't easy to figure out where.  I even tried this:   # start xfce4-session normally touch /aMisc/"$(date +%F--%T)-starting xfce" #    exec xfce4-session     xfce4-session touch /aMisc/"$(date +%F--%T)-stopping xfce" ... just to see if I could get some sense of flow control, but it doesn't work.  I never get to 'stopping'.  It feels wrong.