zsh-users
* Function definition file not found for default functions
@ 2021-08-19 20:15 Thomas A. Christensen II
From: Thomas A. Christensen II @ 2021-08-19 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hello,

I'm trying to setup zsh for my user account on a CentOS 7 server. When I
start zsh, I get the following error message

     $ zsh
     /usr/share/zsh/5.0.2/scripts/newuser:6: zsh-newuser-install:
function definition file not found
     %

I know I can create a .zshrc to stop that error from appearing, but
trying to use completion gives an almost identical message

     % autoload -Uz compinit
     % compinit
     zsh: compinit: function definition file not found

I thought this was an issue with zsh 5.0.2, so I compiled zsh 5.8 from
source and get the same errors with the newly compiled version. These
errors break all of my usual plugins and configurations. What can I do
to prevent them?

Thanks,

Thomas Christensen

* Re: Function definition file not found for default functions
@ 2021-08-19 22:28 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2021-08-19 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas A. Christensen II; +Cc: Zsh Users

On Thu, Aug 19, 2021 at 1:16 PM Thomas A. Christensen II
<tchristensen@vet.k-state.edu> wrote:

>      $ zsh
>      /usr/share/zsh/5.0.2/scripts/newuser:6: zsh-newuser-install:
> function definition file not found
>
>      % autoload -Uz compinit
>      % compinit
>      zsh: compinit: function definition file not found
>
> I thought this was an issue with zsh 5.0.2, so I compiled zsh 5.8 from
> source and get the same errors with the newly compiled version. These
> errors break all of my usual plugins and configurations. What can I do
> to prevent them?

This means your $fpath value is not covering the directories where
these functions are defined.  There are several reasons this might be
happening, but the first two I'd check for are:
(1) The functions have not been installed in the same fpath locations
that were compiled into the binary.
(2) There is an (outdated?) /etc/z* file changing the value of fpath.

* Re: Function definition file not found for default functions
@ 2021-08-19 23:01   ` Thomas A. Christensen II
From: Thomas A. Christensen II @ 2021-08-19 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: Zsh Users

 > This means your $fpath value is not covering the directories where
 > these functions are defined.

Ahh, thanks. Lmod was the only thing in fpath (might need to ask the
admins about that), but adding

     fpath+=($HOME/.local/share/zsh/5.8/functions)

to my .zshenv solved the problem.