zsh-users
* Re: vi-mode on linux?
@ 1999-07-15 14:27 Rand Bamberg
From: Rand Bamberg @ 1999-07-15 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bruce; +Cc: zsh-users

Bruce Stephens <bruce@cenderis.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> Putting "bindkey -v" in my .zshrc does correctly put me into
>> vi-mode.  A harmless-enough workaround -- although it still seems
>> like there's an obscure zsh/linux bug in there.
>
>See what RedHat's rpm installs.  It could be that there's something in
>the /etc/zlogin or /etc/zshrc files.

Ding ding ding!  That was it, exactly.  /etc/zshrc
turned out to be full of interesting things; 'bindkey -e'
was one of them.  Duh.  Shoulda looked first.

Thanks very much!
-Rand.

Rand A. Bamberg                            rand@svri.com
                                      rand@qualityic.com

* Re: vi-mode on linux?
@ 1999-07-15 16:08 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 1999-07-15 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

> Ding ding ding!  That was it, exactly.  /etc/zshrc
> turned out to be full of interesting things; 'bindkey -e'
> was one of them.  Duh.  Shoulda looked first.

Take this opportunity to complain to RedHat about their brain-dead
/etc/ zsh files.  It's really annoying (especially when you're just a user and
the sysadmin refuses to change those files because he (rightfully) wants
to minimize the amount of changes from a plain distribution).

	Stefan

* Re: vi-mode on linux?
@ 1999-07-14 19:27     ` Bruce Stephens
From: Bruce Stephens @ 1999-07-14 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

@ 1999-07-14 18:35   ` Rand Bamberg
From: Rand Bamberg @ 1999-07-14 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dado; +Cc: zsh-users

At 11:15:05 (-0700) on 07/14/99, dado wrote:
> I never had this problem, and I'm not on Linux,
> but I have "bindkey -v" in my .zshrc
>
> Have you tried that?
> If so, do you have to issue it again anyway?

Putting "bindkey -v" in my .zshrc does correctly
put me into vi-mode.  A harmless-enough workaround --
although it still seems like there's an obscure
zsh/linux bug in there.

Thanks!
-Rand.

Rand A. Bamberg                            rand@svri.com
                                      rand@qualityic.com

* Re: vi-mode on linux?
@ 1999-07-14 18:15 ` dado
From: dado @ 1999-07-14 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rand Bamberg; +Cc: zsh-users

I never had this problem, and I'm not on Linux,
but I have "bindkey -v" in my .zshrc

Have you tried that?
If so, do you have to issue it again anyway?

Dado Feigenblatt           dado@pdi.com            direct (650) 846-8386
Technical Lighter                              front desk (650) 846-8100
PDI - Palo Alto, CA                                   fax (650) 846-8101

* vi-mode on linux?
@ 1999-07-14 14:31 Rand Bamberg
From: Rand Bamberg @ 1999-07-14 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi all --

Has anyone else experienced problems getting vi-mode
to work automatically on Linux?  I've set both EDITOR and
VISUAL to 'vi' and tried different combinations of Linux/zsh
versions, with no success:

  Linux 2.0.36   (RedHat 5.2) and zsh 3.1.5
  Linux 2.2.5-15 (RedHat 6.0) and zsh 3.0.5
  Linux 2.2.5-15 (RedHat 6.0) and zsh 3.1.5

I poked around and saw (via printf) that my env-settings
are being queried successfully and the "main" keymap
is indeed being set to vmap ("viins"), but somehow
it's getting overridden somewhere along the line.
Maybe it's a keycap/terminal issue, and the first time I
hit Esc I'm actually clobbering "viins" and entering
"emacs"?  ...but if I issue "bindkey -v" manually,
everything works perfectly.

(Also, zsh/vi-mode works automatically on Solaris 5.5.1
and Solaris 5.6 using zsh 3.1.5.)

Any ideas?

Thanks for your time,
Rand.