zsh-users
* history expansion
@ 2002-04-30 16:33 Roman Neuhauser
From: Roman Neuhauser @ 2002-04-30 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh users

Is there a way ^foo^bar substitution could replace all occurrences of
foo in the preceding event like !!:gs/foo/bar/? I've rtfm'd, and it
doesn't look like it's doable, but I might've overlooked something.

--
FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE
6:26PM up 1 day, 8:52, 14 users, load averages: 0.06, 0.06, 0.02

* Re: history expansion
@ 2002-04-30 16:43 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2002-04-30 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roman Neuhauser; +Cc: zsh users

On Tue, 30 Apr 2002, Roman Neuhauser wrote:

> Is there a way ^foo^bar substitution could replace all occurrences of
> foo in the preceding event like !!:gs/foo/bar/?

Not in the way you think, no.  ^foo^bar is, very literally, shorthand for
!!:s^foo^bar -- there's no provision for inserting a `g' to the left of
the leftmost carat.

However, you can always create a special ZLE widget.  The following is
pretty much exactly what the history code does:

function insert-bangbang-gs-and-accept {
    setopt localoptions noksharrays noshwordsplit
    [[ $BUFFER[1] == $histchars[2] ]] && BUFFER='!!:gs'$BUFFER
    zle .accept-line
}
zle -N insert-bangbang-gs-and-accept

* RE: history expansion
@ 2002-05-06 12:43     ` Borsenkow Andrej
From: Borsenkow Andrej @ 2002-05-06 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Roman Neuhauser', 'zsh users'

>     thanks, that's just what I needed.
>     I use setopt histverify, so I changed the .accept-line to
>     .expand-history. but this got me thinking: how would one check for
>     an option value in a function?

bor@itsrm2% echo $options[histverify]
off

-andrej

* Re: history expansion
@ 2002-05-06 12:51   ` Roman Neuhauser
From: Roman Neuhauser @ 2002-05-06 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh users

> Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 09:43:14 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com>
> To: Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@mail.cz>
> cc: zsh users <zsh-users@sunsite.dk>
> Subject: Re: history expansion
>
> On Tue, 30 Apr 2002, Roman Neuhauser wrote:
>
> > Is there a way ^foo^bar substitution could replace all occurrences of
> > foo in the preceding event like !!:gs/foo/bar/?
>
> Not in the way you think, no.  ^foo^bar is, very literally, shorthand for
> !!:s^foo^bar -- there's no provision for inserting a `g' to the left of
> the leftmost carat.
>
> However, you can always create a special ZLE widget.  The following is
> pretty much exactly what the history code does:
>
> function insert-bangbang-gs-and-accept {
>     setopt localoptions noksharrays noshwordsplit
>     [[ $BUFFER[1] == $histchars[2] ]] && BUFFER='!!:gs'$BUFFER
>     zle .accept-line
> }
> zle -N insert-bangbang-gs-and-accept

    thanks, that's just what I needed.
    I use setopt histverify, so I changed the .accept-line to
    .expand-history. but this got me thinking: how would one check for
    an option value in a function?

--
FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE
2:50PM up 7 days, 5:15, 15 users, load averages: 0.17, 0.09, 0.02

* Re: history expansion
@ 2002-05-06 13:11       ` Roman Neuhauser
From: Roman Neuhauser @ 2002-05-06 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'zsh users'

> From: Borsenkow Andrej <Andrej.Borsenkow@mow.siemens.ru>
> To: "'Roman Neuhauser'" <neuhauser@mail.cz>,
>    "'zsh users'"
> 	 <zsh-users@sunsite.dk>
> Subject: RE: history expansion
> Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 16:43:25 +0400
>

> >     thanks, that's just what I needed.
> >     I use setopt histverify, so I changed the .accept-line to
> >     .expand-history. but this got me thinking: how would one check for
> >     an option value in a function?
> >

> bor@itsrm2% echo $options[histverify]
> off

    thanks again!

--
FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE
3:10PM up 7 days, 5:36, 14 users, load averages: 0.01, 0.02, 0.00

* Re: history expansion
@ 2020-02-22  1:01       ` Pier Paolo Grassi
From: Pier Paolo Grassi @ 2020-02-22  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: Zsh-Users List

indeed I wasn't aware, but it does not help me since I cannot do this:

$a="!!"
print -z $a

because it still tries to immediately expand the !!

thanks though

Pier Paolo Grassi
linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/pier-paolo-grassi-19300217
founder: https://www.meetup.com/it-IT/Machine-Learning-TO

Il giorno sab 22 feb 2020 alle ore 01:36 Bart Schaefer <
schaefer@brasslantern.com> ha scritto:

> On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 5:20 AM Pier Paolo Grassi <pierpaolog@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > 20-02-20 14:16:45 root@bakeca-vivobook Path: ~
> > : print -z '!!'
> > 20-02-20 14:16:47 root@bakeca-vivobook Path: ~
> > : !!
> > print -z '!!'
> >
> > !! is resolved to print -z '!!'
>
> I'm surprised that no one has pointed out that history does not expand
> inside single quotes, but it does in double quotes.
>
> print -z "!!"

* Re: history expansion
@ 2020-02-22  0:36     ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2020-02-22  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pier Paolo Grassi; +Cc: Zsh-Users List

@ 2020-02-22  0:21               ` Pier Paolo Grassi
From: Pier Paolo Grassi @ 2020-02-22  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gi1242+zsh, Zsh-Users List

thanks GI, that's nice too

Il giorno ven 21 feb 2020 alle ore 23:51 <gi1242+zsh@gmail.com> ha scritto:

> You can get the aliases expanded automatically by pressing space:
>
> Few options:
>

> https://blog.patshead.com/2012/11/automatically-expaning-zsh-global-aliases---simplified.html
>
> and
>
>     http://www.math.cmu.edu/~gautam/sj/blog/20140625-zsh-expand-alias.html
>
> GI
>
> --
> APATHY ERROR: Don't bother striking any key.

* Re: history expansion
@ 2020-02-21 22:50             ` gi1242+zsh
From: gi1242+zsh @ 2020-02-21 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh-Users List

@ 2020-02-20 15:31           ` Pier Paolo Grassi
From: Pier Paolo Grassi @ 2020-02-20 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mikael Magnusson; +Cc: Zsh-Users List

that's a nice idea, thanks Mikael

Il giorno gio 20 feb 2020 alle ore 16:25 Mikael Magnusson <mikachu@gmail.com>
ha scritto:

> On 2/20/20, Pier Paolo Grassi <pierpaolog@gmail.com> wrote:
> > something like an alias that could allow me to reuse history expandable
> > expressions, such as !!, !:1, ^cdcd^cddcd and so on
>
> If you make an alias like normal, but instead of pressing enter, press
> ^Xa (_expand_alias), it should do what you want. This could then be
> extended with a custom widget bound to accept-line that checks if the
> current input is one of your special history-aliases and expand it for
> you before accepting the line, etc.
> skeleton example of the latter,
> zle -N accept-line accept-line-history-alias
> accept-line-history-alias() {
>   if [[ $BUFFER = histalias-* ]]; then
>     zle _expand_alias
>   fi
>   zle .$WIDGET
> }
> if you go this route, you could also use a custom lookup assoc array
> instead of using aliases.
>
> --
> Mikael Magnusson

* Re: history expansion
@ 2020-02-20 15:25         ` Mikael Magnusson
From: Mikael Magnusson @ 2020-02-20 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pier Paolo Grassi; +Cc: Zsh-Users List

@ 2020-02-20 13:29       ` Pier Paolo Grassi
From: Pier Paolo Grassi @ 2020-02-20 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vin Shelton; +Cc: Zsh-Users List

something like an alias that could allow me to reuse history expandable
expressions, such as !!, !:1, ^cdcd^cddcd and so on

Pier Paolo Grassi
linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/pier-paolo-grassi-19300217
founder: https://www.meetup.com/it-IT/Machine-Learning-TO

@ 2020-02-20 13:25     ` Vin Shelton
From: Vin Shelton @ 2020-02-20 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pier Paolo Grassi; +Cc: Zsh-Users List

@ 2020-02-20 13:19   ` Pier Paolo Grassi
From: Pier Paolo Grassi @ 2020-02-20 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vin Shelton; +Cc: Zsh-Users List

Hi Vin, it does not because:

@ 2020-02-20 13:05 ` Vin Shelton
From: Vin Shelton @ 2020-02-20 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pier Paolo Grassi; +Cc: Zsh-Users List

@ 2020-02-20 12:44 Pier Paolo Grassi
From: Pier Paolo Grassi @ 2020-02-20 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh-Users List

@ 2002-09-26 17:32         ` Roman Neuhauser
From: Roman Neuhauser @ 2002-09-26 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh users

# schaefer@brasslantern.com / 2002-09-26 17:05:47 +0000:
> In particular I'm concerned about the default (non-CSH_JUNKIE) history
> behavior:
>
>  By default, a history reference with no event designator refers to the
>  same event as any preceding history reference on that command line; if
>  it is the only history reference in a command, it refers to the previous
>  command.
>
> Within a nested expression, which references "precede" which others?  If yet
> another history reference follows (in a separate word) a nested reference,
> which of the subexpressions of the nested reference determines which event
> is used by that second reference?

    Being a csh history junkie, this is not for me to decide. :)

> (If this thread continues, it should be moved to zsh-workers.)

    Thanks for considering it!

--
begin 666 nonexistent.vbs
FreeBSD 4.7-RC

* Re: history expansion
       [not found]     ` <20465.1033036099@csr.com>
@ 2002-09-26 17:05       ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2002-09-26 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh users

On Sep 26, 12:12pm, Roman Neuhauser wrote:
} Subject: Re: history expansion
}
} > }     % !!:s/!!3/!-2:s,foo,bar,/
}
} > There isn't any option or other setting that allows history expansions
} > to be nested in that way.
}
}     not knowing the internals of the history expansion, what is the
}     probability of nested expansion appearing in zsh?

On Sep 26, 11:28am, Peter Stephenson wrote:
}
} It doesn't look *that* difficult, but it's not completely trivial (some
} of the state is currently kept in global variables) so it's a bit of
} work

@ 2002-09-26 10:12   ` Roman Neuhauser
       [not found]     ` <20465.1033036099@csr.com>
From: Roman Neuhauser @ 2002-09-26 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh users

# schaefer@brasslantern.com / 2002-09-25 23:43:33 +0000:
> On Sep 25, 12:33pm, Roman Neuhauser wrote:
> } Subject: history expansion
> }
> } is there a setopt (or another way) that would allow me to do stuff like
> } this:
> }
> }     % !!:s/!!3/!-2:s,foo,bar,/
> }
> } without the need to use variables?
>
> So what you want to do is, take the entire line from two commands earlier,
> do a foo -> bar replacement in that, and then use that as the replacement
> for the third argument of the immediately preceding command?

    in this example, yes.

> I'd type C-p C-a M-f M-f M-f M-d !-2:s,foo,bar, and hit enter.

    that's what i'm trying to avoid.  i'm a history expansion junkie.

> There isn't any option or other setting that allows history expansions
> to be nested in that way.

    that's a pitty.

> The best you can do is to expand each reference as you go along, by
> using magic-space or a completion binding; e.g. the above could be
> obtained by typing something like
>
> 	!!3/!-2:s,foo,bar/<TAB><C-a>!!:s/<RET>

    hmm.  that's pretty unintuitive for me.

    not knowing the internals of the history expansion, what is the
    probability of nested expansion appearing in zsh?

--
begin 666 nonexistent.vbs
FreeBSD 4.7-RC
12:04PM up 8 days, 19:19, 21 users, load averages: 0.01, 0.04, 0.01
end

* Re: history expansion
@ 2002-09-25 23:43 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2002-09-25 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roman Neuhauser, zsh users

On Sep 25, 12:33pm, Roman Neuhauser wrote:
} Subject: history expansion
}
} is there a setopt (or another way) that would allow me to do stuff like
} this:
}
}     % !!:s/!!3/!-2:s,foo,bar,/
}
} without the need to use variables?

So what you want to do is, take the entire line from two commands earlier,
do a foo -> bar replacement in that, and then use that as the replacement
for the third argument of the immediately preceding command?

I'd type C-p C-a M-f M-f M-f M-d !-2:s,foo,bar, and hit enter.

There isn't any option or other setting that allows history expansions to
be nested in that way.  The best you can do is to expand each reference as
you go along, by using magic-space or a completion binding; e.g. the above
could be obtained by typing something like

	!!3/!-2:s,foo,bar/<TAB><C-a>!!:s/<RET>

(Replace control-a with escape shift-i for vi mode.  Hmm, I guess that one
might require csh_junkie_history, too.)

* history expansion
@ 2002-09-25 10:33 Roman Neuhauser
From: Roman Neuhauser @ 2002-09-25 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh users

hi there,

is there a setopt (or another way) that would allow me to do stuff like
this:

    % !!:s/!!3/!-2:s,foo,bar,/

without the need to use variables?

--
begin 666 nonexistent.vbs
FreeBSD 4.7-RC
12:24PM up 7 days, 19:39, 27 users, load averages: 0.00, 0.01, 0.00
end