Thanks for all the responses. The glob is now being generated properly. However, I am still having a problem getting my loop to run completely through. pattern=git* for entry in $path do print -l $entry/$~pattern done Output: ---------- /opt/local/bin/git /opt/local/bin/git-credential-osxkeychain /opt/local/bin/git-cvsserver /opt/local/bin/git-receive-pack /opt/local/bin/git-shell /opt/local/bin/git-upload-archive /opt/local/bin/git-upload-pack /opt/local/bin/gitk zsh: no matches found: /opt/local/sbin/git* /opt/local/sbin/ being the second entry in my path. Also tried: print -l $path/$~pattern Output: ---------- zsh: no matches found: /Users/brent/bin/git* /Users/brent/bin/ being the last entry in my path. Looks like I need to use a conditional to test if any pattern matches exist, per directory, before trying to print them. I wasn't able to find a solution in the manual that facilitates testing for the existence of pattern matches. I would like to solve this problem using only globbing if possible. I am probably missing something simple. On Oct 22, 2013, at 1:05 PM, Philippe Troin wrote: > On Tue, 2013-10-22 at 12:45 -0400, Brent Briggs wrote: > >> I am simply trying to list all matches for a specified pattern in an >> array of directory paths, the $path array for example. Here is my >> attempt. Where am I going wrong? > > Globs are not ran after variable substitution by default. > To run filename generation (aka globs) after variable substitution, use > $~var. > > Your example: > >> pattern=git* >> for entry in $path >> do >> # Print all files in the path that match the pattern. >> print $entry/$pattern >> done > > Can be rewritten as: > > pattern=git* > for entry in $path > do > # Print all files in the path that match the pattern. > print $entry/$~pattern > done > > It can be simplified further as: > > pattern=git* > print $path/$~pattern > > Phil. >