What’s top posting? Can’t $lastglob be available in the same command? It would be in the same fork, I imagine … `command * -d $lastglob` > On Aug 22, 2019, at 1:24 AM, Mikael Magnusson wrote: > >> On 8/21/19, Aryn Starr wrote: >> Thanks. I needed this to be non-interactive, and I indeed created a function >> for it, I was just wondering if it was possible to get the glob in a magic >> variable or sth, which it seems it is not. > [don't top post] > > Yes, it's not possible to get anything like $lastglob, because globs > are expanded after forking¹ to run the external command, so no results > are available to the interactive shell for subsequent use. > > ¹ if you're not running an external command it would theoretically be > possible, but it would be an inconsistent interface. > > -- > Mikael Magnusson