zsh-users
From: "TJ Luoma" <luomat@gmail.com>
To: "Zsh-Users List" <zsh-users@zsh.org>
Subject: Re: Why isn't zsh sourcing .zshenv ?
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2015 18:38:27 -0500	[thread overview]

On 14 Nov 2015, at 17:31, Bart Schaefer wrote:

> On Nov 14,  2:34pm, TJ Luoma wrote:
> }
> } Any help appreciated.
>
> It would appear that some of your dot-files are being read or your
> prompt would not have all that unexpanded promptsubst fodder in it.

That seems logical, right? But here's the weird thing:

$ echo;ls -l ~/.zs*;echo

zsh: no matches found: /Users/luomat/.zs*

No .zsh* files at all… except that the unexpanded PROMPT keeps showing
up.

> Does this also affect a new shell started after iTerm is open?  If
> so, run as "zsh -x 2>zsh-err.txt" and then examine that file to
> determine where things may be going wrong.

+/etc/zshenv:1> [ -x /usr/libexec/path_helper ']'
+/etc/zshenv:2> /usr/libexec/path_helper -s
+/etc/zshenv:2> eval
'PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/opt/X11/bin:/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/bin:/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/sbin";'
export 'PATH;'
+(eval):1>
PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/opt/X11/bin:/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/bin:/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/sbin
+(eval):1> export PATH
+/etc/zshrc:2> [ Apple_Terminal '=' Apple_Terminal ']'
+/etc/zshrc:3> setopt combiningchars

> Is there anything in /etc/zshenv ?  Other than zsh being invoked
> with the -f option, that file is the only place where sourcing of
> ~/.zshenv can be shut off.

$ cat /etc/zshenv
if [ -x /usr/libexec/path_helper ]; then
	eval `/usr/libexec/path_helper -s`
fi

$  cat /etc/zshrc
# Correctly display UTF-8 with combining characters.
if [ "$TERM_PROGRAM" = "Apple_Terminal" ]; then
	setopt combiningchars
fi

Here's another weird thing:

$ echo $ZDOTDIR
/Users/luomat/dotfiles/zsh

HOW IS THAT GETTING SET?!

It seems like there is some sort of phantom process hanging around
keeping my .zsh* in memory.

Maybe I'll try rebooting

{Reboots}

OK, _now_ I am seeing an empty prompt and no ZDOTDIR set.

{moves ~/.zshenv back into place and Reboots again}

OK, now everything is working fine. No un-expanded prompt.

What… The… Heck?

Gremlins?