I must say I'm impressed even more with zsh. So far it has absolutely everything imaginable! Thanks for all the fish. :) Cheers, Alexy On 9/28/05, Bart Schaefer wrote: > > On Sep 28, 3:16pm, Deliverable Mail wrote: > } > } Many people have python-esque scripts which add a path to a PATH-like > } variable only if it's not there already, or remove it from there > completely. > } I wonder whether zsh has it embedded? > > Zsh has three components that together accomplish this. The first is > automatic linkage between arrays and colon-separated scalars, in this > case the array "path" and the scalar "PATH". > > The second is "typeset -U" for creating self-uniquifying arrays. > > The third is ${array:#pattern} for removing elements matching a pattern > from an array. > > The only time you need a function is when you want to control the order > in which the single remaining instance of a duplicated element appears > in the array, after de-duping. The "typeset -U" behavior is to keep > the one with the lowest array index, even if that means inserting a new > element and deleting an existing equivalent one. >