zsh-users
* Notification of time a command took
@ 2004-04-25 15:55 Kai Grossjohann
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-04-25 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

I think I remember having somebody seen with a tcsh which reported the
time a command took, if it took longer than N seconds.  This seems to
be a useful feature, and since zsh has the union of all features of
all shells, surely it is possible in zsh, too.  But how?

Kai

* Re: Notification of time a command took
@ 2004-04-25 16:12 ` Thomas Köhler
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Thomas Köhler @ 2004-04-25 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai Grossjohann; +Cc: zsh-users

Kai Grossjohann wrote:
> I think I remember having somebody seen with a tcsh which reported the
> time a command took, if it took longer than N seconds.  This seems to
> be a useful feature, and since zsh has the union of all features of
> all shells, surely it is possible in zsh, too.  But how?

What about setting REPORTTIME to N? :-)

I use N=3:
~> grep REPORT .zshrc
export REPORTTIME=3

> Kai

Ciao,
Thomas

--
 Thomas Köhler       Email:       jean-luc@picard.franken.de
     <><             WWW:           http://jeanluc-picard.de

* Re: Notification of time a command took
@ 2004-04-25 16:29 ` Wayne Davison
From: Wayne Davison @ 2004-04-25 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai Grossjohann; +Cc: zsh-users

On Sun, Apr 25, 2004 at 05:55:46PM +0200, Kai Grossjohann wrote:
> I think I remember having somebody seen with a tcsh which reported the
> time a command took, if it took longer than N seconds.

Searching through the zsh man page, I found that setting the environment
variable REPORTTIME=N will accomplish that (where N sets the minimum
total CPU time for the report to happen, not the minimum elapsed time).

..wayne..

* Re: Notification of time a command took
@ 2004-04-25 16:32 ` Andy Spiegl
From: Andy Spiegl @ 2004-04-25 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

> This seems to be a useful feature, and since zsh has the union of all
> features of all shells, surely it is possible in zsh, too.
You're right.  :-)

man zshparam

       REPORTTIME
              If  nonnegative,  commands whose combined user and system execution
              times (measured in seconds) are greater than this value have timing
              statistics printed for them.

So:

condor:~>grep -i time .zshrc
# show process statistics if cpu time is > 5 seconds
export REPORTTIME=5

Chau,
 Andy.

--
                              o      _     _         _

* Re: Notification of time a command took
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-04-25 16:44 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-04-25 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Thanks, folks, for pointing out $REPORTTIME, instead of saying RTFM...

Kai
--
Why should I read the fucking manual?  I know how to fuck!