zsh-users
* My zsh disturbs nvi?
@ 2004-10-18 19:14 Juhapekka Tolvanen
From: Juhapekka Tolvanen @ 2004-10-18 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have had weird problems with text-editor called nvi:

http://www.bostic.com/vi/

When I try to run nvi under zsh running under screen as normal luser, it
gives these error messages during startup:

/home/juhtolv/.nexrc, 8: Shell expansion failed
/home/juhtolv/.nexrc, 8: Ex command failed: pending commands discarded
Press Enter to continue:

I can run nvi normally as root, also under screen:

I sent a bug report about that to Debian:

It seems, I am getting closer to fix. FAQ file provided with nvi says:

Q: I'm using ksh or csh as my vi edit option shell value, and file
   expansions don't work right!
A: The problem may be in your ksh or csh startup files, e.g., .cshrc.  Vi
   executes the shell to do name expansion, and the shell generally reads
   its startup files.  If the startup files are not correctly configured
   for non-interactive use, e.g., they always echo a prompt to the screen,
   vi will be unable to parse the output and things will not work
   correctly.

Now, can you tell me, what's wrong with my shell configs?

http://iki.fi/juhtolv/configs/shellrc/

--
Juhapekka "naula" Tolvanen * * http colon slash slash iki dot fi slash juhtolv
"kummaan paikkaan itsesi karkotit, syyttä syyllisten seuduille. raskaisiin

* Re: My zsh disturbs nvi?
@ 2004-10-18 20:33 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2004-10-18 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004, Juhapekka Tolvanen wrote:

> Now, can you tell me, what's wrong with my shell configs?

Run

	zsh -fc 'print done'

If you see anything other than "done", that's the problem.

If you don't see anything but "done", then nvi likely is running the shell
without the -f switch, which I guess might be reasonable because -f does
not mean the same thing in bash/ksh as in csh/zsh.  In which case you
should try

	zsh -c 'print done'

and again anything you see other than "done" is the problem.

* Re: My zsh disturbs nvi?
@ 2004-10-18 20:49   ` Juhapekka Tolvanen
From: Juhapekka Tolvanen @ 2004-10-18 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com> writes:

> On Mon, 18 Oct 2004, Juhapekka Tolvanen wrote:

>> Now, can you tell me, what's wrong with my shell configs?

> Run

> 	zsh -fc 'print done'

(Clip)

> 	zsh -c 'print done'

> and again anything you see other than "done" is the problem.

Both commands cause just output "done" without double quotes. What next?
Should I carefully check out, if they cause any output with
non-printable characters?

--

@ 2004-10-18 20:57 ` Wayne Davison
From: Wayne Davison @ 2004-10-18 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 10:14:33PM +0300, Juhapekka Tolvanen wrote:
> /home/juhtolv/.nexrc, 8: Shell expansion failed

What does this line have on it?

..wayne..

* Re: My zsh disturbs nvi?
@ 2004-10-18 21:17   ` Juhapekka Tolvanen
From: Juhapekka Tolvanen @ 2004-10-18 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wayne Davison <wayned@users.sourceforge.net> writes:

> On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 10:14:33PM +0300, Juhapekka Tolvanen wrote:
>> /home/juhtolv/.nexrc, 8: Shell expansion failed
>
> What does this line have on it?

That was told in that Debian-bugreport. I already gave an URL pointing
to that bugreport. But anyway:

so ~/.exrc

--

@ 2004-10-18 22:50     ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2004-10-18 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Juhapekka Tolvanen wrote:

> Wayne Davison <wayned@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
>
> > On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 10:14:33PM +0300, Juhapekka Tolvanen wrote:
> >> /home/juhtolv/.nexrc, 8: Shell expansion failed
> >
> > What does this line have on it?
>
> That was told in that Debian-bugreport. I already gave an URL pointing
> to that bugreport. But anyway:
>
> so ~/.exrc

Hmmm... possibly it's trying to expand ~ from $HOME and finding that's
not set?

pws