zsh-users
* zsh and the intel fortran compiler
@ 2012-03-29 14:46 Frank Terbeck
From: Frank Terbeck @ 2012-03-29 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi there,

We (the debian zsh packaging team) just had a bug report from someone
having rather odd troubles with auto-loadable functions. Turns out, that
the user has got the intel fortran compiler installed which apparently
uses $FPATH, too. Complete information about the problem can be found
here:

  <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=666168>

Does anybody use that compiler, too, and has a workaround for that?

Should we document the issue somewhere (possibly in the README)?

Regards, Frank

                                                  -- RFC 1925

* Re: zsh and the intel fortran compiler
@ 2012-03-29 16:00 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2012-03-29 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 16:46:19 +0200
Frank Terbeck <ft@bewatermyfriend.org> wrote:
> We (the debian zsh packaging team) just had a bug report from someone
> having rather odd troubles with auto-loadable functions. Turns out, that
> the user has got the intel fortran compiler installed which apparently
> uses $FPATH, too. Complete information about the problem can be found
> here:
>
>   <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=666168>
>
> Does anybody use that compiler, too, and has a workaround for that?
>
> Should we document the issue somewhere (possibly in the README)?

It should be possible to set and restore FPATH locally around where the
compiler is using it; so long as you aren't using shell functions the
shell shouldn't be worried.  It would be nice for someone to try this so
we can illustrate the solution.

Other shells will have the same problem; the difference may be they
don't tend to supply as many functions that are supposed to work out of
the box, though there are enough functions around that doesn't seem like
much of a difference.

pws

More information can be found at www.csr.com. Follow CSR on Twitter at http://twitter.com/CSR_PLC and read our blog at www.csr.com/blog