zsh-users
* zsh 4.0.4 on HP-UX?
@ 2001-12-07 20:04 Thomas Stromberg
From: Thomas Stromberg @ 2001-12-07 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

I installed the 4.0.4 package from the HP-UX freeware site at
http://hpux.cs.utah.edu onto a few HP-UX 11.0 boxes, and everything works:

except for the backspace key. It works, but the cursor doesn't go
backwards.

which is somewhat unusual to me, since they have it fixed so it works in
bash, but as soon as I go run zsh from inside the bash shell.. backspace
ceases to display properly. This was both with and without having a
zprofile/zshenv file. stty looks the exact same from both sides. I tried
some other settings, to no avail.

For background info, TERM is either xterm (konsole, PuTTY, xterm) or
xterm-color (Eterm). Here is stty -a output:

speed 300 baud; line = 0;
rows = 55; columns = 120
min = 4; time = 0;
intr = ^C; quit = ^\; erase = ^H; kill = ^U
eof = ^D; eol = ^@; eol2 <undef>; swtch <undef>
stop = ^S; start = ^Q; susp <undef>; dsusp <undef>
werase <undef>; lnext <undef>
-parenb -parodd cs8 -cstopb hupcl cread -clocal -loblk -crts
-ignbrk brkint -ignpar -parmrk -inpck istrip -inlcr -igncr icrnl -iuclc
ixon ixany -ixoff -imaxbel -rtsxoff -ctsxon -ienqak
isig icanon -iexten -xcase echo -echoe echok -echonl -noflsh
-echoctl -echoprt -echoke -flusho -pendin
opost -olcuc onlcr -ocrnl -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel -tostop tab3

I have a feeling that i'm missing something very simple :)

Thomas Stromberg                     thomas.stromberg@mmt.bellhowell.com
Senior UNIX Administrator               Bell & Howell Mail and Messaging
  "hardware, n: The parts of a computer system that can be kicked."

* Re: zsh 4.0.4 on HP-UX?
@ 2001-12-14 12:41 ` Hannu Koivisto
From: Hannu Koivisto @ 2001-12-14 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Stromberg; +Cc: zsh-users

Thomas Stromberg <thomas.stromberg@mmt.bellhowell.com> writes:

> I installed the 4.0.4 package from the HP-UX freeware site at
> http://hpux.cs.utah.edu onto a few HP-UX 11.0 boxes, and everything
> works:
>
> except for the backspace key. It works, but the cursor doesn't go

We just fought with the same problem.  We also noticed that if we
tried to say "export TERM=xterm" under hpterm where we saw the
problem, zsh complained that it cannot find the terminfo entry even
though "infocmp xterm" worked just fine.

In any case, we solved the backspace problem by installing ncurses
and then compiling zsh so that it uses ncurses instead of HP-UX's
own curses library (which the precompiled version in the freeware
site used).

--
Hannu
Please don't send copies of list mail

* Re: zsh 4.0.4 on HP-UX?
@ 2002-01-23  1:07   ` a normal guy
From: a normal guy @ 2002-01-23  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Stromberg; +Cc: zsh-users

--- Hannu Koivisto <azure@iki.fi> wrote:
> Thomas Stromberg <thomas.stromberg@mmt.bellhowell.com> writes:
>
> > I installed the 4.0.4 package from the HP-UX freeware site
> at
> > http://hpux.cs.utah.edu onto a few HP-UX 11.0 boxes, and
> everything
> > works:
> >
> > except for the backspace key. It works, but the cursor
> doesn't go
>
> We just fought with the same problem.  We also noticed that if
> we
> tried to say "export TERM=xterm" under hpterm where we saw the
> problem, zsh complained that it cannot find the terminfo entry
> even
> though "infocmp xterm" worked just fine.
>
> In any case, we solved the backspace problem by installing
> ncurses
> and then compiling zsh so that it uses ncurses instead of
> HP-UX's
> own curses library (which the precompiled version in the
> freeware
> site used).

I fought this problem too, and the fix was similar.  In HP-UX
11.00, they redefined the output values of tgetent to 0 (OK) and
-1 (ERR).  0 used to mean there was no such term capability.

The old tgetent is still available in the libHcurses library.
Putting LDFLAGS='-lHcurses' fixed the problem for me.

Scott

Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/