zsh-users
* Eliminating floppy access when completing under Cygwin
@ 2003-12-16 11:17 Hannu Koivisto
From: Hannu Koivisto @ 2003-12-16 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Users' List

Greetings,

I use zsh 4.0.6 under Cygwin.  If I try to complete an absolute
path like this: ls /cygdrive/c/Prog<tab>, or a relative path that
includes a drive letter like this: cd /cygdrive/d; ls
../c/Prog<tab>, zsh seems to access the floppy drive.  That
obviously slows down the completion.  I wonder if it tries to
access all the other drives (some of which are mapped from network
on the machine in question) as well...

I have a suspicion that this might actually be a feature, since I
think I have seen zsh complete something like /foo/bar/qu<tab> to
/foo/baz/quux.  In any case, is there a way to get rid of this
behaviour?

--
Hannu

* Re: Eliminating floppy access when completing under Cygwin
@ 2003-12-16 11:21 ` Seth Kurtzberg
From: Seth Kurtzberg @ 2003-12-16 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hannu Koivisto; +Cc: Zsh Users' List

Mount the floppy at some level with more segments to the path, so it
won't be a potential completion here.  Check the cygwin mount command,
which is quite strange and of course doesn't mount anything.

On Dec 16, 2003, at 4:17 AM, Hannu Koivisto wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I use zsh 4.0.6 under Cygwin.  If I try to complete an absolute
> path like this: ls /cygdrive/c/Prog<tab>, or a relative path that
> includes a drive letter like this: cd /cygdrive/d; ls
> ../c/Prog<tab>, zsh seems to access the floppy drive.  That
> obviously slows down the completion.  I wonder if it tries to
> access all the other drives (some of which are mapped from network
> on the machine in question) as well...
>
> I have a suspicion that this might actually be a feature, since I
> think I have seen zsh complete something like /foo/bar/qu<tab> to
> /foo/baz/quux.  In any case, is there a way to get rid of this
> behaviour?
>
> --
> Hannu

Seth Kurtzberg
CTO
ISEC Research and Network Operations Center
480-314-1540
888-879-5206
seth@isec.us

* Re: Eliminating floppy access when completing under Cygwin
@ 2003-12-17  9:01   ` Hannu Koivisto
From: Hannu Koivisto @ 2003-12-17  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Users' List

Seth Kurtzberg <seth@cql.com> writes:

> Mount the floppy at some level with more segments to the path, so it
> won't be a potential completion here.  Check the cygwin mount command,
> which is quite strange and of course doesn't mount anything.

Yes, that is one workaround, but if possible, I'd rather configure
zsh's completion so that it doesn't try to access directories above
or aside bar in a case like /foo/bar/z<tab>.

--
Hannu