zsh-users
* Terminology: Alt-Backspace doesn't work
@ 2014-09-28  8:27 Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2014-09-28  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi all,

my shell is configured to kill one word backwards when Alt-Backspace is
pressed.  In terminology however, Alt-Backspace just deletes the last
character as if only Backspace was pressed.  It seems the shell doesn't
receive the correct key.

E.g., in urxvt or gnome-terminal, Alt-Backspace results in the shell
receiving the key "^[^?".  In terminology, Alt-Backspace gives "^H"
(which is Control-Backspace with urxvt/gnome-terminal).

Is this a known issue or is there some config option that I need to
change?

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Terminology: Alt-Backspace doesn't work
@ 2014-09-28  9:35 ` Oliver Kiddle
From: Oliver Kiddle @ 2014-09-28  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: zsh-users

Tassilo Horn wrote:

> E.g., in urxvt or gnome-terminal, Alt-Backspace results in the shell
> receiving the key "^[^?".  In terminology, Alt-Backspace gives "^H"
> (which is Control-Backspace with urxvt/gnome-terminal).
>
> Is this a known issue or is there some config option that I need to
> change?

It's a Terminology issue rather than a zsh one. Zsh only gets a ^H and
has no further information.

It may be that Terminology can be confiured: xterm lets you do that with
X resources. Or you may find another key combination that can be
configured: Alt-Left and Ctrl-W are common choices for that.

Oliver

* Re: Terminology: Alt-Backspace doesn't work
@ 2014-09-28 20:05   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2014-09-28 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Kiddle; +Cc: zsh-users

Oliver Kiddle <okiddle@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

Hi Oliver,

>> E.g., in urxvt or gnome-terminal, Alt-Backspace results in the shell
>> receiving the key "^[^?".  In terminology, Alt-Backspace gives "^H"
>> (which is Control-Backspace with urxvt/gnome-terminal).
>>
>> Is this a known issue or is there some config option that I need to
>> change?
>
> It's a Terminology issue rather than a zsh one. Zsh only gets a ^H and
> has no further information.

Thought so.

> It may be that Terminology can be confiured: xterm lets you do that
> with X resources.

Um, how would I know?  As far as I can see, there's not much
documentation available at its web page...

> Or you may find another key combination that can be configured:
> Alt-Left and Ctrl-W are common choices for that.

Yeah, sure.  But since I'm used to Emacs, I'd prefer to keep the emacs
style key bindings in ZSH.

@ 2014-09-28 20:24     ` Roman Neuhauser
From: Roman Neuhauser @ 2014-09-28 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: Oliver Kiddle, zsh-users

# tsdh@gnu.org / 2014-09-28 22:05:32 +0200:
> Oliver Kiddle <okiddle@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
> > It may be that Terminology can be confiured: xterm lets you do that
> > with X resources.
>
> Um, how would I know?  As far as I can see, there's not much
> documentation available at its web page...

maybe you should complain to the guy who forces you to use a misbehaving
and underdocumented terminal emulator.

--
roman

* Re: Terminology: Alt-Backspace doesn't work
@ 2014-09-28 20:26   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2014-09-28 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Kiddle; +Cc: zsh-users

Oliver Kiddle <okiddle@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

Hi again,

> It's a Terminology issue rather than a zsh one. Zsh only gets a ^H and
> has no further information.

Ups, now I see that I've posted my original question to the wrong
mailing list.  Of course this should have gone to the Enlightenment
list.  :-)

@ 2014-09-28 20:38       ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2014-09-28 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@sigpipe.cz> writes:

>> > It may be that Terminology can be confiured: xterm lets you do that
>> > with X resources.
>>
>> Um, how would I know?  As far as I can see, there's not much
>> documentation available at its web page...
>
> maybe you should complain to the guy who forces you to use a
> misbehaving and underdocumented terminal emulator.

Yeah, yeah, just became aware that I've accidentially written to the ZSH
rather than the Enlightenment list.  Sorry for the noise, probably my
Kefir brewed too much alcohol today. :-)

Bye,
Tassilo