zsh-users
* Can we have a discourse site for zsh?
@ 2020-08-19 16:09 Rudi C
From: Rudi C @ 2020-08-19 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

I have recently seen a few languages adopt self-hosted discourse
<https://github.com/discourse/discourse> sites:

- https://discourse.julialang.org/
- https://users.rust-lang.org/
- https://clojureverse.org/
- https://scsynth.org/
- https://in-thread.sonic-pi.net/
- https://discourse.nixos.org/

And I love them! What do you think about having one for zsh?

* Re: Can we have a discourse site for zsh?
@ 2020-08-19 21:23 ` René Neumann
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: René Neumann @ 2020-08-19 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Mail is push, forums are pull: I have to check them actively for new
content. That works if you only have two of them -- with 20+ it's pretty
annoying.

@ 2020-08-19 22:00   ` Grant Taylor
From: Grant Taylor @ 2020-08-19 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On 8/19/20 3:23 PM, René Neumann wrote:
> Mail is push, forums are pull: I have to check them actively for new
> content.

Agreed on all accounts.

I was disappointed to see that there wasn't an NNTP option.  :-(

> That works if you only have two of them -- with 20+ it's pretty
> annoying.

Twenty?  That's nothing.  Try nearly ten times that for mailing lists
and seventeen times that for newsgroups.

Your point is an extremely valid one.  Having to go check message boards
is extremely limiting.  Especially for people with upwards of 600
different ""subscription based communications channels.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

* Re: Can we have a discourse site for zsh?
@ 2020-08-20  0:54   ` Pier Paolo Grassi
From: Pier Paolo Grassi @ 2020-08-20  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: René Neumann; +Cc: zsh-users

discourse has a mail digest to recap new content:

https://meta.discourse.org/t/discourse-activity-summary-emails-guide/36627

I think forum are better SEOed than mailing lists, so old content should be
more easily
reached for future reference, or at least I infer that from my search
experience in the past (stackoverflow being the best example, though it’s
not a classic forum of course).

than again, I for one prefer to interact by mail than through a site. It
would be nice to have the best of the two worlds though.

Some questions that come to mind: what would be the purpose of the
discourse site? would it coexist with the ml? would it be used sufficiently
to justify it? to me the “other languages have adopted it” isn’t in itself
a valid reason to consider it, maybe you can explain why you think would be
nice  or useful?

best regards

@ 2020-08-20  5:30   ` Vincent Bernat
From: Vincent Bernat @ 2020-08-20  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: René Neumann; +Cc: zsh-users

 ❦ 19 août 2020 23:23 +02, René Neumann:

> Mail is push, forums are pull: I have to check them actively for new
> content. That works if you only have two of them -- with 20+ it's
> pretty annoying.

Discourse has a decent mail gateway. I am subscribed to NixOS discourse
this way and it's easy to forget about the fact this is a web forum.
--
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less
than half of you half as well as you deserve.

* Re: Can we have a discourse site for zsh?
@ 2020-08-20 22:06 ` Oliver Kiddle
From: Oliver Kiddle @ 2020-08-20 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rudi C; +Cc: zsh-users

Rudi C wrote:
> I have recently seen a few languages adopt self-hosted [1]discourse sites:

> And I love them! What do you think about having one for zsh?

I wouldn't raise any objections. Some of the sites you list are for
projects with a central source of funding whereas zsh is purely an
open source community of people volunteering in their free time.
So there'd need to be someone willing to setup and maintain a
discourse install.

Discourse's supported install is Linux/Docker which may not fit
well with the current main hosting on FreeBSD. If you can arrange
hosting we can point an hostname inside zsh.org at it for you. So
you can try it out and see if you can get enough interest to develop
a self-sustaining community. Our main development is and will remain
on mailing-lists, we don't intend to move, but not all user community
needs to be in the same place.

Otherwise there are some existing web-based forums where zsh
discussion takes place such as on reddit. But, not being familiar
with discourse, I don't know if that's comparable.

Oliver