On 2024-05-22 13:41, Lawrence Velázquez wrote: > You're hamstringing yourself with this "learn one tool" mindset. > Familiarity with a variety of tools helps you approach problems > from different perspectives and avoid the law of the instrument > Of course.  Yes, different tools for different jobs.  What I meant was that it terms of priority awk might have given me more bang for the buck as the first tool to learn.  Mind, sed is simpler and that's why I went that way.  Tx. for links.  'Strength reduction' is something I believe in instinctively.  I always want to do things in native zsh code if possible.  External tools have to justify their weight.