zsh-users
* changing the definition of a "word"
@ 1995-09-06 15:29 Timothy J. Luoma
From: Timothy J. Luoma @ 1995-09-06 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

is there someway I can tell zsh to take a / as being an indication
of when a "word" begins/ends?

I would like to be able to use ESC-b and ESC-f to go down long
paths quickly, ie

cd /to/some/really/long/path/on/my/system

and be able to esc-b and esc-f back and forth along this line,
stopping at the "/" rather than just the white spaces (although I'd
want to keep those as "word markers" as well).

Thanks!
TjL
---
Timothy J. Luoma <luomat@capitalist.princeton.edu>  NeXT 3.2 m68k
MIME and NeXTMail OK		   Another convert to the Z-Shell
"If I  understood the man page, I wouldn't have asked the question."
"I see your WinDows(tm) and I want to paint them black...."

* Re: changing the definition of a "word"
@ 1995-09-06 15:49 ` Zefram
From: Zefram @ 1995-09-06 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

>is there someway I can tell zsh to take a / as being an indication
>of when a "word" begins/ends?

The normal vi mode word movement commands (vi-forward-word and
vi-backward-word) have this behaviour.  You could bind them to whatever
keys you want.  There's another set of word algorithms available as
vi-{for,back}ward-blank-word, but those aren't what you want in this
case.

-zefram

* Re: changing the definition of a "word"
@ 1995-09-06 16:57   ` Barton E. Schaefer
From: Barton E. Schaefer @ 1995-09-06 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zefram, luomat, zsh-users

On Sep 6,  4:49pm, Zefram wrote:
} Subject: Re: changing the definition of a "word"
}
} >is there someway I can tell zsh to take a / as being an indication
} >of when a "word" begins/ends?
}
} The normal vi mode word movement commands (vi-forward-word and
} vi-backward-word) have this behaviour.  You could bind them to whatever
} keys you want.

Has everyone forgotten the WORDCHARS variable?

# Leave =/&; out of WORDCHARS so ^W acts more nicely -- still not ideal

--
Bart Schaefer                     Vice President, Technology, Z-Code Software
schaefer@z-code.com                  Division of NCD Software Corporation