zsh-users
* What do you recommend, wait or install 2.5??
@ 1995-09-05  6:40 Andrew Eskilsson
From: Andrew Eskilsson @ 1995-09-05  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

We need to upgrade our zsh here at school, and I now wonder what do
you recommend, should I wait a month or so for 2.6 (any release
plans?) or should I take 2.5, or even maybe if the 2.6 beta 3(?) if it
is stable?

I don't want to tell our sysadm, well install it, and then come one
week later and say.. oops new version :-)

	/andy

* Re: What do you recommend, wait or install 2.5??
@ 1995-09-05 20:44 ` Richard Coleman
From: Richard Coleman @ 1995-09-05 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

> We need to upgrade our zsh here at school, and I now wonder what do
> you recommend, should I wait a month or so for 2.6 (any release
> plans?) or should I take 2.5, or even maybe if the 2.6 beta 3(?) if it
> is stable?
>
> I don't want to tell our sysadm, well install it, and then come one
> week later and say.. oops new version :-)

It's hard for me to give a definite time/date when the next production
release will be ready.  I always underestimate the length of time it
takes to do anything to the zsh distribution.  I'm currently hoping for
about 2 months from now.  But don't quote me on that.

But I can tell you this.  When I release the next production version
it will be labeled zsh 3.0.  This is justified by all the extensive
changes that have been made to the internals of zsh.  But because we are
increasing the major version number, I'm determined to make sure that zsh
is very stable and robust before we release this production version.  I
want to get zsh 3.0 off on the right track.

Richard Coleman
zsh@math.gatech.edu
coleman@math.gatech.edu

* Re: What do you recommend, wait or install 2.5??
@ 1995-09-06 18:29   ` Mark Borges
From: Mark Borges @ 1995-09-06 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

>> Richard Coleman(rc) wrote on Tue, 05 Sep 1995 16:44:05 -0400:

rc> But I can tell you this.  When I release the next production
rc> version it will be labeled zsh 3.0.
[...]
rc> But because we are increasing the major version number, I'm
rc> determined to make sure that zsh is very stable and robust before
rc> we release this production version.

But don't `.0' releases have a bad reputation or connotation (rightly
or wrongly) as being unstable to the average end-user? Or does that
only hold for Microsoft products? :-)

  -mb-