zsh-users
* (Fwd) suggestions for improving zsh
@ 1995-09-16  1:33 Paul Falstad
From: Paul Falstad @ 1995-09-16  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Could someone help him out?  I haven't looked at compctl for a while,
but I'm pretty sure it's better than tcsh now...  Thanks.

--- Forwarded mail from sai@fast.cs.utah.edu

Hi,
I've been using zsh2.3.1 for quite sometime now.
I'm not aware of zsh having a sophisticated/generalized
command line completion mechanism like "tcsh version 6.06.00 (1995-05-13).

The command, "complete" in tcsh is much more powerful and generalized than
the "compctl" command of zsh.
Tcsh's complete command allows much more specialized ways of completing
individual command-line arguments than zsh's "compctl".

If someone has already incorporated similar features into zsh,
could you please let me know? If not, it would be a good feature to be
incorporated into zsh, as zsh is already very powerful, except for this
shortcoming.

If you are no longer in zsh development, Could you please forward
this to someone who is continuing its development?

Thank you.
Enjoy!
- Sai.
--
Sai Rama Krishna Susarla

Office address:                           Home address:
3190 MEB, University of Utah,             127 N Street, Apt #5,
Salt Lake City, UT 84112.                 Salt Lake City, UT 84103.

Off Phone: (801)-581-5668.                Home Phone: (801)-322-4922.
email: sai@cs.utah.edu.

All mail forwarded to Home machine: schirf.cs.utah.edu.
From: sai@fast.cs.utah.edu (Sai Rama Susarla)
To: pf@ttisms.com
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 95 18:24:20 MDT

---End of forwarded mail from sai@fast.cs.utah.edu

--
Paul Falstad, pjf@cts.com, http://ttisms.com/pjf, 619-673-9939

The pledge of allegiance does not end with "Hail Satan"

@ 1995-09-16  2:04 ` Richard Coleman
From: Richard Coleman @ 1995-09-16  2:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sai, zsh-users

> I've been using zsh2.3.1 for quite sometime now.
> I'm not aware of zsh having a sophisticated/generalized
> command line completion mechanism like "tcsh version 6.06.00 (1995-05-13).
>
> The command, "complete" in tcsh is much more powerful and generalized than
> the "compctl" command of zsh.
> Tcsh's complete command allows much more specialized ways of completing
> individual command-line arguments than zsh's "compctl".
>
> If someone has already incorporated similar features into zsh,
> could you please let me know? If not, it would be a good feature to be
> incorporated into zsh, as zsh is already very powerful, except for this
> shortcoming.
>
> If you are no longer in zsh development, Could you please forward
> this to someone who is continuing its development?

Paul Falstad no longer maintains zsh.  Zsh is currently maintained
by the Zsh Development Group (fancy name for a mailing list).  To
get the latest info on the mailing lists and ftp sites, check the
META-FAQ available at:

ftp.math.gatech.edu/pub/zsh/META-FAQ

or the html version at:

http://www.math.gatech.edu/zsh/meta-faq.html

zsh2.3.1 is quite old.  The completion facilities in zsh has changed
considerably since then.  The current production release of zsh is
zsh2.5.03.  The latest beta release is zsh-2.6-beta10 (with beta11
a week or so away).  I would suggest you try beta10.  It is fairly
stable and builds quite easily.  I'm not very familar with tcsh, but
if there is anything you can do in tcsh that zsh can't do, I would
be very surprised.

The hard part about using zsh compctl is that the man page for this
is difficult to read.  It has already been rewritten and the new
version will appear in beta11.

Richard Coleman          (Coordinator, Zsh Development Group)
zsh@math.gatech.edu      (zsh e-mail)
coleman@math.gatech.edu  (general e-mail)