zsh-users
* zsh in shell-mode
@ 1997-01-09  4:17 Vinnie Shelton
       [not found] ` <shelton@icd.teradyne.com>
From: Vinnie Shelton @ 1997-01-09  4:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

OK, I'm going to bite the bullet and start to use shell-mode.  How do
people use zsh with shell mode?  What's the best way to let zsh do the
completions?  Or do people use M-x term?  Suggestions/comments?

--vin

* Re: zsh in shell-mode
       [not found] ` <shelton@icd.teradyne.com>
@ 1997-01-09  6:09   ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 1997-01-09  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acs, zsh-users

On Jan 8, 11:17pm, Vinnie Shelton wrote:
} Subject: zsh in shell-mode
}
} OK, I'm going to bite the bullet and start to use shell-mode.

You mean in emacs, I take it.

} How do people use zsh with shell mode?

Force environment TERM to be "emacs".  This used to be true in older
versions of emacs, but ceased in (I think) 19.someteen.  Anyway, zsh
sets some options differently for that term type, including disabling
zle.

} What's the best way to let zsh do the completions?

There is no way to let zsh do completions in shell-mode.  Even spell
correction doesn't work quite right (emacs prints `^G' instead of
ringing the bell when zsh feeps, and then zsh expects to get a char
that emacs won't send until you press return, at which point zsh gets
both that char and the return).

} Or do people use M-x term?

I've never really tried it.  I did just now, for a couple of minutes,
and was not impressed.

} Suggestions/comments?

If you're in emacs, you're in emacs.  Trying to get it to let some other
process do anything like text editing is like trying to put back pulled
teeth.

--
Bart Schaefer                             Brass Lantern Enterprises
http://www.well.com/user/barts            http://www.nbn.com/people/lantern

* Re: zsh in shell-mode
@ 1997-01-09 11:13     ` Pekka Marjola
From: Pekka Marjola @ 1997-01-09 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acs; +Cc: schaefer, zsh-users

Bart> On Jan 8, 11:17pm, Vinnie Shelton wrote:
} Or do people use M-x term?

Bart> I've never really tried it.  I did just now, for a couple of minutes,
Bart> and was not impressed.

} Suggestions/comments?

I used term for some time. Actually, I rewrote term function to create
buffers with (default) names like *hostname.domain*<num>, so they were
easier to distinguish.

Bart> If you're in emacs, you're in emacs.  Trying to get it to let
Bart> some other process do anything like text editing is like trying
Bart> to put back pulled teeth.

In fact, zsh works reasonably well in term-char-mode. That way I get
zsh's completions and zle. (Set TERM to vt100 :) In fact, even
programs like less work though it's somewhat silly to use them in
emacs buffer.

Pros: Get all output in emacs buffer automatically, and can use other
emacs facilities. In character terminal, no need to use screen.

Cons: At least in XEmacs-19.13/14 there was a bug in term; editing
multiline commands at the bottom of the emacs window caused an
error. (Hmm, couldn't reproduce it just now with XEmacs-20.0
beta. Looks like I might give it a try again...) If emacs is doing
something else, using term might be a bit difficult.

So run multiple emacsen? Quite heavy terminal emulators, though
there's no need to have a separate emacs for each shell :)

(I'll) have to rewrite my startup & wm stuff to make usual connections
through emacs - and use different ports for different gnuserv
processes.

--
Pekka Marjola * pema@iki.fi * http://www.iki.fi/pema/ * PGPid 0x2865206D

* Re: zsh in shell-mode
@ 1997-01-09 17:36       ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 1997-01-09 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pekka Marjola, acs; +Cc: zsh-users

On Jan 9,  1:13pm, Pekka Marjola wrote:
} Subject: Re: zsh in shell-mode
}
} } Or do people use M-x term?
}
} Bart> I've never really tried it.  I did just now, for a couple of minutes,
} Bart> and was not impressed.
}
} In fact, zsh works reasonably well in term-char-mode. That way I get
} zsh's completions and zle. (Set TERM to vt100 :)

Ah, yes, it's *much* better with TERM=vt100 rather than TERM=eterm.
(Why is that?)

I may actually try using it that way today for a bit.