zsh-users
* re: backward-word with hpterm?
@ 1997-07-09 11:44 Marco Kattannek
From: Marco Kattannek @ 1997-07-09 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh

Marco Kattannek <marcok@tchibm3.chemie.uni-karlsruhe.de> typed:
:if my cuestion is a FAQ, I apologize.
:I can not use the curser-keys for zsh-line-editing in a hpterm. ^B and
:^F do work, but the curser-keys confuse everything. Is this a limitation
:( feature ? ) of the hpterm. Can I change the zsh-behaviour?
:Or do I have to change the stty's?
:I suppose that I can do nothing about it, except not using hpterms.
:Therefor I stoped searching for a solution, and ask this cuestion in this
:list.

What happens when you press the cursor keys?
Marco> An example:
Marco> cp this-is-a-file this-is-going-to-be-a-file
Marco> Now I go with the curser-key to the word be and remove it with BackSpace
Marco> What I see is ->
Marco> cp this-is-a-file this-is-going-to-  -a-file
Marco> When I execute the command, and look at it with the command-history
Marco> I see this ->
Marco> cp this-is-a-file this-is-going-to-be-a-fi
Marco> Now I delete the word be with the delete-key:
Marco> cp this-is-a-file this-is-going-to-a-file
Marco> and after execution with command-history ->
Marco> cp this-is-a-file this-is-going-to-a-file
Marco> Now I remove the word this with BS in both file names.
Marco> This is what I see:
Marco> cp      is-a-file      is-going-to-be-a-file
Marco> And this is what is executed ->
Marco> cp: cannot access this-is-a-file: No such file or directory
Marco> Command-history ->
Marco> cp this-is-a-file this-is-going-to
Marco> The terminal shows one thing and does another. In a hpterm you can
Marco> go up and down with the curser-keys and left and right.
Marco> The terminal seems to execute the curser-keys directly, without
Marco> letting the zsh know what it is doing. ^P for command-history and
Marco> ^B, ^F do work!
Marco> I use the standard emacs key-binding. "backward-char" is bound to
Marco> "^B" and to "^[[D".
Marco> I thought this is a known problem, because the hpterm is strange.

                                           Greetings          Marco

* Re: backward-word with hpterm?
@ 1997-07-09 16:35 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 1997-07-09 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Kattannek, zsh

On Jul 9,  1:44pm, Marco Kattannek wrote:
} Subject: re: backward-word with hpterm?
}
} Marco Kattannek <marcok@tchibm3.chemie.uni-karlsruhe.de> typed:
} :I can not use the curser-keys for zsh-line-editing in a hpterm. ^B and
} :^F do work, but the curser-keys confuse everything. Is this a limitation
} :( feature ? ) of the hpterm. Can I change the zsh-behaviour?
} :Or do I have to change the stty's?
} :I suppose that I can do nothing about it, except not using hpterms.
} :Therefor I stoped searching for a solution, and ask this cuestion in this
} :list.
}
} Marco> What I see is ->
} Marco> cp this-is-a-file this-is-going-to-  -a-file
} Marco> When I execute the command, and look at it with the command-history
} Marco> I see this ->
} Marco> cp this-is-a-file this-is-going-to-be-a-fi

If I'm remembering right -- and the above example seems to bear it out --
hpterm cursor keys don't actually send anything to the tty driver.  They
just move the cursor around.  Programs that are written specifically to
use hpterms track the cursor by coordinates as if it were a mouse pointer,
not a text cursor; programs that are written for generic tty drivers are
out of luck.

There *is* a way to get the cursor keys to drive the tty, through some HP
extensions to the curses and termcap libraries, but I've long forgotten
what the magic is.

* Re: backward-word with hpterm? <- Marco
@ 1997-07-10  7:49   ` Marco Kattannek
From: Marco Kattannek @ 1997-07-10  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: zsh

According to Bart Schaefer:
> On Jul 9,  1:44pm, Marco Kattannek wrote:
> } Subject: re: backward-word with hpterm?
> }
> } Marco Kattannek <marcok@tchibm3.chemie.uni-karlsruhe.de> typed:
> } :I can not use the curser-keys for zsh-line-editing in a hpterm. ^B and
> } :^F do work, but the curser-keys confuse everything. Is this a limitation
> } :( feature ? ) of the hpterm. Can I change the zsh-behaviour?
> } :Or do I have to change the stty's?
> } :I suppose that I can do nothing about it, except not using hpterms.
> } :Therefor I stoped searching for a solution, and ask this cuestion in this
> } :list.
> }
> } Marco> What I see is ->
> } Marco> cp this-is-a-file this-is-going-to-  -a-file
> } Marco> When I execute the command, and look at it with the command-history
> } Marco> I see this ->
> } Marco> cp this-is-a-file this-is-going-to-be-a-fi
>
> If I'm remembering right -- and the above example seems to bear it out --
> hpterm cursor keys don't actually send anything to the tty driver.  They
> just move the cursor around.  Programs that are written specifically to
> use hpterms track the cursor by coordinates as if it were a mouse pointer,
> not a text cursor; programs that are written for generic tty drivers are
> out of luck.
>
> There *is* a way to get the cursor keys to drive the tty, through some HP
> extensions to the curses and termcap libraries, but I've long forgotten
> what the magic is.

Hallo to all zsh-user,
thanks to everybody helping me. I supposed the hpterm to act that way.
Now I know it, and can stop searching for an zsh-option.
As I said in my first e-mail, this seems to be a limitation, feature? of
the hpterm.

                                     Greetings              Marco