zsh-users
* Can I put a newline in an alias?
@ 1997-07-20  1:51 Russell Hoover
From: Russell Hoover @ 1997-07-20  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh-users

This is a pretty basic question, but i tried using \n and ^M to put a
newline, or carraige return, into an alias, and neither worked.

How is this done? Or is it? Also how can i put a 'control-whatever'
sequence into an alias? I'm using zsh 3.0.1.

--
                              // rusty@panix.com //

        City cops & state cops & national guard & bureau cops & tv cops &
      movie cops & uniform & plainclothes cops & riot cops & cops on top of
   cops on top of cops on top of cops: it's a world full of cops.   --Paleface

* Re: Can I put a newline in an alias?
@ 1997-07-20  4:02 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 1997-07-20  4:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russell Hoover, Zsh-users

On Jul 19,  9:51pm, Russell Hoover wrote:
} Subject: Can I put a newline in an alias?
}
} This is a pretty basic question, but i tried using \n and ^M to put a
} newline, or carraige return, into an alias, and neither worked.
}
} How is this done? Or is it? Also how can i put a 'control-whatever'
} sequence into an alias?

zsh% alias this_has_a_newline='echo this
quote> echo has a newline'
zsh% this_has_a_newline
this
has a newline

Same thing should work for any control sequence; just put it in quotes.

Notice that in the sample above the newline was taken as a command
separator.  That's probably not what you mean, but since you didn't
say why you want to include a newline or control ...

* Re: Can I put a newline in an alias?
@ 1997-07-20 15:41   ` Russell Hoover
From: Russell Hoover @ 1997-07-20 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh-users

On Sat 07/19/97 at 09:02 PM -0700, Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com> wrote:

> zsh% alias this_has_a_newline='echo this
> quote> echo has a newline'
> zsh% this_has_a_newline
> this
> has a newline

Thanks. This works fine -- all I wanted was to be able to do something like
hit 'c <return>' to clear the screen and have a filenames-only listing of
the current dir at the top of the screen.

> Same thing should work for any control sequence; just put it in quotes.

I was wondering more about what chars you'd use within an alias to represent
'control-'

> Notice that in the sample above the newline was taken as a command
> separator.  That's probably not what you mean, but since you didn't
> say why you want to include a newline or control ...

Well, it serves the purpose. If there's a better way, I'd be glad to hear
that, too.

--
                              // rusty@panix.com //

                Intelligent people laugh quickly and smile slowly.
                      -- Malcolm de Chazal   Sens-Plastique

* Re: Can I put a newline in an alias?
@ 1997-07-20 17:07     ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 1997-07-20 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russell Hoover, Zsh-users

On Jul 20, 11:41am, Russell Hoover wrote:
} Subject: Re: Can I put a newline in an alias?
}
} [...] all I wanted was to be able to do something like
} hit 'c <return>' to clear the screen and have a filenames-only listing of
} the current dir at the top of the screen.

    function c() {
	echotc cl
	print -rc *(.)
    }

} I was wondering more about what chars you'd use within an alias to represent
} 'control-'

There isn't any special syntax for that.  You just have to put the control
characters in as themselves.

* Re: Can I put a newline in an alias?
@ 1997-07-22 20:42       ` Russell Hoover
From: Russell Hoover @ 1997-07-22 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh-users

On Sun 07/20/97 at 10:07 AM -0700, Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com> wrote:

> There isn't any special syntax for that.  You just have to put the control
> characters in as themselves.

I'm not sure I understand.  I know  it would be very useful to be
able to put into aliases things like:

1) a return at the end of the alias (so that I can type, say, a one-letter
alias and have the command, or series of commands, executed without having
to hit <return> after I type the alias.

2) a control sequence, like, say, <control-L>  I don't know what you would
put in an alias to make a control sequence. What would be an example? What
would one look like?

3) what would be the representation of any control character -- <return> ,
<tab>, <control-whatever>, <esc> -- how is any of these put into an alias?

Maybe if one wants to use such things that means it's time to start using
small scripts.

i guess I'm looking for a sort of QuicKeys for zsh . . .

--
                              // rusty@panix.com //

		A beautiful female body is the best kind of bed lamp.
		  Sleeping side by side makes the night less opaque.

@ 1997-07-22 22:39         ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 1997-07-22 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russell Hoover; +Cc: Zsh-users

On Jul 22,  4:42pm, Russell Hoover wrote:
> Subject: Re: Can I put a newline in an alias?
> > There isn't any special syntax for that.  You just have to put the control
> > characters in as themselves.
>
> I'm not sure I understand.  I know  it would be very useful to be
> able to put into aliases things like:
>
> 1) a return at the end of the alias (so that I can type, say, a one-letter
> alias and have the command, or series of commands, executed without having
> to hit <return> after I type the alias.

This wouldn't work anyway.

Aliases aren't interpreted until command execution, which doesn't happen
until you hit return.  What you want is "bindkey -s".

> 2) a control sequence, like, say, <control-L>  I don't know what you would
> put in an alias to make a control sequence. What would be an example? What
> would one look like?

What it looks like would depend on what editor you were using.  If it's
the zsh line editor, it "looks" like ^L, but you type <ctrl-V><ctrl-L>
to insert one.  You can't type the two characters `^' and `L' and have
them be interpreted as <ctrl-L>.  The <ctrl-V> means "intepret the next
thing I type as simple input, even if it would otherwise be an editor
command."  That's what I mean by "put the characters in as themselves."

Characters entered in this way normally should be part of a quoted string.

> 3) what would be the representation of any control character -- <return> ,
> <tab>, <control-whatever>, <esc> -- how is any of these put into an alias?

Same way.

> Maybe if one wants to use such things that means it's time to start using
> small scripts.

Shell functions.

> i guess I'm looking for a sort of QuicKeys for zsh . . .

You definitely want "bindkey -s".