zsh-users
* /etc/profile being read after my personal .zshenv
@ 1997-11-24  3:22 Timothy J Luoma
From: Timothy J Luoma @ 1997-11-24  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

How can I stop that?

I thought all systemwide files were read first, and then the personal ones.

TjL

* Re: /etc/profile being read after my personal .zshenv
@ 1997-11-24  5:34 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 1997-11-24  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy J Luoma, zsh-users

On Nov 23, 10:22pm, Timothy J Luoma wrote:
} Subject: /etc/profile being read after my personal .zshenv
}
} How can I stop that?

You can't.

} I thought all systemwide files were read first, and then the personal ones.

Nope.  The order is:

 1	/etc/zshenv
 2  (NO_RCS is checked, and if set, no more are read.)
 3	$ZDOTDIR/.zshenv
    (The next two are skipped when not a login shell.)
 4	/etc/zprofile
 5	$ZDOTDIR/.zprofile
 6  (NO_RCS is checked again, and if set, no more are read.)
 7	/etc/zshrc
 8	$ZDOTDIR/.zshrc
    (The last two are skipped when not a login shell.)
 9	/etc/zlogin
10	$ZDOTDIR/.zlogin

Thus the only way to avoid /etc/zprofile on login shells is to also have
your own .zshenv skipped.  The best you can do is override /etc/zprofile
in your .zprofile.

A quick-n-dirty solution is to link .zprofile and .zshenv, and take the hit
of having the same file read twice on logins.

* Re: /etc/profile being read after my personal .zshenv
@ 1997-11-24 17:07   ` Greg Badros
From: Greg Badros @ 1997-11-24 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: Timothy J Luoma, zsh-users

"Bart Schaefer" <schaefer@brasslantern.com> writes:

> Nope.  The order is:
>
>  1	/etc/zshenv
>  2  (NO_RCS is checked, and if set, no more are read.)
>  3	$ZDOTDIR/.zshenv
>     (The next two are skipped when not a login shell.)
>  4	/etc/zprofile
>  5	$ZDOTDIR/.zprofile
>  6  (NO_RCS is checked again, and if set, no more are read.)
>  7	/etc/zshrc
>  8	$ZDOTDIR/.zshrc
>     (The last two are skipped when not a login shell.)
>  9	/etc/zlogin
> 10	$ZDOTDIR/.zlogin

I have a flow chart diagram of this in part of a talk I gave on unix
shells.  See:

http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/gjb/ToolsTalks/unix-shell/img009.GIF

I believe it is accurate for Zsh 3.0.5 (and is the same as Bart
described except I mention checking for an interactive shell between 6
and 7, and I omit test 6.

Greg J. Badros
gjb@cs.washington.edu
Seattle, WA  USA