zsh-users
* disappearing zsh's
@ 1998-03-10 18:09 Niall Smart
From: Niall Smart @ 1998-03-10 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On the subject of disappearing zsh's....

With zsh 3.x and FreeBSD 2.2.5 or 3.0 when you alias su to su root -c zsh
(I prefer to keep roots shell as /bin/sh) then typing ^A^K followed by
two or three newlines will cause the shell to quit with an error like
"read error from terminal".

Anyone else come across this?

Regards,

Niall

* Re: disappearing zsh's
@ 1998-03-10 19:07 ` Mircea Damian
From: Mircea Damian @ 1998-03-10 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Niall Smart, zsh-users

On Tue, Mar 10, 1998 at 06:09:10PM +0000, Niall Smart wrote:
> On the subject of disappearing zsh's....
>
> With zsh 3.x and FreeBSD 2.2.5 or 3.0 when you alias su to su root -c zsh
> (I prefer to keep roots shell as /bin/sh) then typing ^A^K followed by
> two or three newlines will cause the shell to quit with an error like
> "read error from terminal".
>
> Anyone else come across this?

I've got it today. My zsh exited again (without my will). This is the
output:

-->start here<--
Last login: Tue Mar 10 20:43:01 1998 from pop3.kappa.ro
Linux 2.0.33.
You have new mail.

dmircea@mail:/home/dmircea% mutt
/etc/zlogout: command not found: utt
Logout
Connection to secu closed.
--> end here <--

As I said before that is a Linux 2.0.33 machine with zsh-3.0.5.
/etc/zlogout:

--> start here <--
echo Logout
--> end here <--

Hints?

--
Mircea Damian
Kappa Administrator

* Re: disappearing zsh's
@ 1998-03-10 20:24   ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 1998-03-10 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mircea Damian, Niall Smart, zsh-users

On Mar 10,  9:07pm, Mircea Damian wrote:
} Subject: Re: disappearing zsh's
}
} I've got it today. My zsh exited again (without my will). This is the
} output:
}
} -->start here<--
} Last login: Tue Mar 10 20:43:01 1998 from pop3.kappa.ro
} Linux 2.0.33.
} You have new mail.
}
} dmircea@mail:/home/dmircea% mutt
} /etc/zlogout: command not found: utt
} Logout
} Connection to secu closed.
} --> end here <--

Looks like a tty problem.  There are several possibilities:

1.  Zsh ought to be getting compiled with TTY_NEEDS_DRAINING defined the
    opposite way, but configure messed up.

2.  The terminal is improperly getting set to do non-blocking reads, and
    the relatively new code in zsh to deal with that is still not working
    in all cases.

3.  Some other process is still attached to your terminal and is stealing
    input from zsh.  It may be a process that was started in some other
    login session, even by some other user.

4.  Some combination of (2) and (3), e.g. the other process isn't stealing
    input, but it's messing up the terminal settings so zsh can't read it.

5.  Something I haven't thought of. :-)

I'd look for (3) and (4) first.