zsh-users
* Why can't I set PS1?
@ 1999-07-04 19:12 Wolfgang Hukriede
From: Wolfgang Hukriede @ 1999-07-04 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hello,

this is plain vanilla

	/usr/bin/zsh (ZSH_VERSION=3.0.5)

on equally plain vanilla

	Linux version 2.0.36 (root@Mandelbrot.suse.de)
	(gcc version 2.7.2.3) #2 Tue Dec 8 14:58:04 MET 1998

Why can't I set PS1, eg:

hukriede@pfiesteria:/home/hukriede > PS1=xxx
hukriede@pfiesteria:/home/hukriede > echo $PS1
%n@%m:/home/hukriede >
hukriede@pfiesteria:/home/hukriede >

???

Many thanks, greetings, W.

* Re: Why can't I set PS1?
@ 1999-07-05  7:52 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 1999-07-05  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Wolfgang Hukriede wrote:
> Why can't I set PS1, eg:
>
> hukriede@pfiesteria:/home/hukriede > PS1=xxx
> hukriede@pfiesteria:/home/hukriede > echo $PS1
> %n@%m:/home/hukriede >
> hukriede@pfiesteria:/home/hukriede >

It may be the same problem someone else had a couple of weeks ago.  On some
system, the function precmd is set to restore the prompt before every
single command, which is lunacy.  You can probably just `unfunction precmd'
and set your own prompt, if that's the problem.

--
Peter Stephenson <pws@ibmth.df.unipi.it>       Tel: +39 050 844536
WWW:  http://www.ifh.de/~pws/

* Re: Why can't I set PS1?
@ 1999-07-05 18:47 Wolfgang Hukriede
From: Wolfgang Hukriede @ 1999-07-05 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Yes, it was exactly this. They (Suse GmbH) managed to define in
/etc/profile (which is sourced by zshrc):

        precmd ()
        {
            if test "$UID" = 0; then
                PS1="%m:`pwd -r` # "