zsh-users
* logout and nohup
@ 1999-10-25 18:00 Roland Jesse
From: Roland Jesse @ 1999-10-25 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi,

I am using zsh 3.1.5 on Solaris 2.6 and Solaris 7.

In my .zlogin I have the following:
...starting X...
# quit X so log out
nohup /usr/local/etc/kehraus 2> /dev/null &
wait 5 # provide time for kehraus to complete
logout

Now, "kehraus" is a script which updates ~/.dirs and removes corefiles
in case I did not specifically save them. The problem is when it comes
to the logout command. It does not log me out immediately but tells
me: "zsh: you have running jobs." I need an additional C-d to log out
successfully. The only job left is this kehraus script.

Why is this? Isn't nohup supposed to keep the process running in the
background while still being able to log out?

	Roland (a bit confused)

* Re: logout and nohup
@ 1999-10-25 18:36 ` Clint Adams
From: Clint Adams @ 1999-10-25 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roland Jesse; +Cc: zsh-users

> nohup /usr/local/etc/kehraus 2> /dev/null &

No, nohup is supposed to keep the process running in the background
AFTER you log out.

What this does is place nohup in the job table.  You can get around
this in various ways, but the easiest is to backrgound it with &|
instead of & .

* Re: logout and nohup
@ 1999-10-25 21:35 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 1999-10-25 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roland Jesse, zsh-users

On Oct 25,  8:00pm, Roland Jesse wrote:
> Subject: logout and nohup
>
> nohup /usr/local/etc/kehraus 2> /dev/null &
> wait 5 # provide time for kehraus to complete
> logout
>
> [...] the logout command [...] does not log me out immediately but tells
> me: "zsh: you have running jobs."

Clint's answer is correct, but in addition:  The latest interim release in
the 3.1.6 series includes a patch so that you can do

	setopt NO_CHECK_JOBS

to disable the "you have running jobs" warning on exit.

* Re: logout and nohup
@ 1999-10-25 21:38   ` Roland Jesse
From: Roland Jesse @ 1999-10-25 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

"Bart Schaefer" <schaefer@candle.brasslantern.com> writes:

> Clint's answer is correct, but in addition:  The latest interim release in
> the 3.1.6 series includes a patch so that you can do
>
> 	setopt NO_CHECK_JOBS

Ok, but I will stick with Clint's advice as I do not want to disable
the warning message in general but only for this one and specific
task.

But thank you for the pointer.

	Roland