zsh-users
* expansion of nested parameters
@ 1999-11-22 19:02 Phil Pennock
From: Phil Pennock @ 1999-11-22 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Users

Hiya, quick question:

Not on list these days, please CC me in on replies - thanks.

This is with zsh-3.0.7:
-----------------------------< cut here >-------------------------------
#!/bin/zsh -f
a=foo
wib_foo_ble=Wow
c=\$wib_${a}_ble
print ${(e)c}
print ${(e)\$wib_${a}_ble}
-----------------------------< cut here >-------------------------------

1: Why does the second print statement print out the current process ID
   from $$ instead of printing the same as the first print statement?

2: Is there a way to do this without using an intermediate variable, as
   I've done with $c and without using eval statements?

For now, since the job needs doing, I'm using an intermediate, but the
perfectionist in me wants to know what I was doing wrong?

Or is the answer really obvious, and it's my fault for not using zsh so
heavily these days?  :^)

Thanks folks,
--
--> Phil Pennock (!PP8185)

* Re: expansion of nested parameters
@ 1999-11-22 19:34 ` Zefram
From: Zefram @ 1999-11-22 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Pennock; +Cc: zsh-users

Phil Pennock wrote:
>a=foo
>wib_foo_ble=Wow
>c=\$wib_${a}_ble
>print ${(e)c}

>1: Why does the second print statement print out the current process ID
>   from $$ instead of printing the same as the first print statement?

Because you put "$" where it was expecting a parameter name, and "$"
is in fact a valid parameter name.

>2: Is there a way to do this without using an intermediate variable, as
>   I've done with $c and without using eval statements?

Yes.  You can use the form "${:-arbitrary string}" to get a $ expansion
that expands to an arbitrary string.  $ expansions can be used in
the string.  So you want to do

	a=foo
	wib_foo_ble=Wow
	print ${(e):-\$wib_${a}_ble}

This trick is now documented, in zshexpn(1):

#       ${name:-word}
#              If  name is set and is non-null then substitute its
#              value; otherwise substitute word. If name is  miss-
#              ing, substitute word.

-zefram

* Re: expansion of nested parameters
@ 1999-11-22 20:14 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 1999-11-22 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Pennock, Zsh Users

On Nov 22,  7:02pm, Phil Pennock wrote:
} Subject: expansion of nested parameters
}
} This is with zsh-3.0.7:
} -----------------------------< cut here >-------------------------------
} #!/bin/zsh -f
} a=foo
} wib_foo_ble=Wow
} c=\$wib_${a}_ble
} print ${(e)c}
} print ${(e)\$wib_${a}_ble}
} -----------------------------< cut here >-------------------------------
}
} 1: Why does the second print statement print out the current process ID
}    from $$ instead of printing the same as the first print statement?

${(e)c} means:  Expand ${c}, then apply command substitution etc. to the
result of that expansion.

Hence ${(e)\$wib_${a}_ble} means: Expand ${\$wib_${a}_ble}, then ...

You'll note that ${\$} is the same as ${$} because the command-line parser
strips the backslash before the parameter-name interpreter ever gets around
to looking at it.  ${$} is the same as $$; the rest of the "wib_${a}_ble"
stuff is simply ignored once zsh recognizes $$.

} 2: Is there a way to do this without using an intermediate variable, as
}    I've done with $c and without using eval statements?

Yeah; it's in the FAQ, question 3.22.  What you're asking is a variation:

    print ${(e)a:+\$wib_${a}_ble}

should do it.