zsh-users
* Bash-like autocompletition
@ 2010-08-17  6:13 Matthias Brandt
From: Matthias Brandt @ 2010-08-17  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi,

I'm just switching from bash to zsh and what i'm really confused about
is the autocompletition. Can i tell zsh *not* to complete the whole
first menu entry automatically?

Something like this:

$ ls
aaaabcdefg  aabg  aabcdefg
$ ls a<tab>                        #i want the cli only complete
$ ls aa                            #until the first ambigous character.
aaaabcdefg  aabg        aabcdefg   #<- the menu will be shown

Any idea how to configure this?

Thank you,
Matthias

* Re: Bash-like autocompletition
@ 2010-08-17  6:45 ` Frank Terbeck
From: Frank Terbeck @ 2010-08-17  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthias Brandt; +Cc: zsh-users

Matthias Brandt wrote:
> I'm just switching from bash to zsh and what i'm really confused about
> is the autocompletition. Can i tell zsh *not* to complete the whole
> first menu entry automatically?
>
> Something like this:
>
> $ ls
> aaaabcdefg  aabg  aabcdefg
> $ ls a<tab>                        #i want the cli only complete
> $ ls aa                            #until the first ambigous character.
> aaaabcdefg  aabg        aabcdefg   #<- the menu will be shown
>

> Any idea how to configure this?

As a quick-start into compsys, you may want to try this:

   <http://zshwiki.org/home/examples/compquickstart>

It's likely closer to what you want. You can go from there.

Regards, Frank

* Re: Bash-like autocompletition
@ 2010-08-17  7:08   ` Matthias Brandt
From: Matthias Brandt @ 2010-08-17  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Terbeck; +Cc: Matthias Brandt, zsh-users

Am 08/17/2010 08:45 AM, schrieb Frank Terbeck:
> Matthias Brandt wrote:
>> $ ls a<tab>                         #i want the cli only complete
>> $ ls aa                            #until the first ambigous character.
>> aaaabcdefg  aabg        aabcdefg   #<- the menu will be shown
>> Any idea how to configure this?
>
> As a quick-start into compsys, you may want to try this:
>
>     <http://zshwiki.org/home/examples/compquickstart>
>
> It's likely closer to what you want. You can go from there.
Sorry, but this doesn't help me. I've allready read some tutorials about
compsys, but I don't get any solution for my specific problem: zsh
should only complete until the first ambigous character.

@ 2010-08-17  7:49     ` Frank Terbeck
From: Frank Terbeck @ 2010-08-17  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Matthias Brandt wrote:
> Am 08/17/2010 08:45 AM, schrieb Frank Terbeck:
>> Matthias Brandt wrote:
>>> $ ls a<tab>                         #i want the cli only complete
>>> $ ls aa                            #until the first ambigous character.
>>> aaaabcdefg  aabg        aabcdefg   #<- the menu will be shown
>>> Any idea how to configure this?
[...]
>>     <http://zshwiki.org/home/examples/compquickstart>
[...]
> Sorry, but this doesn't help me. I've allready read some tutorials
> about compsys, but I don't get any solution for my specific problem:
> zsh should only complete until the first ambigous character.

Well, you have to explain where your problem is with that setup...

What that setup does this:

    + Complete until the first non-ambiguous character, if possible.
    + Show a list of possible completions, if there are only ambiguous
      completions left and tab is pressed.
    + If the list from the previous step is being displayed and tab is
      hit again, enter that list as a browsable menu with a cursor you
      can control with the keyboard's cursor keys.

Point one and two sound a *lot* you're asking for. Point three is a
little extra sugar, a lot of people like. You may want the menu to be
shown right away after the first tab when all non-ambiguous characters
have been inserted. If so, that's wasn't entirely clear to me.

But as for "zsh should only complete until the first ambigous
character", that's what that setup does.

Regards, Frank

* Re: Bash-like autocompletition
@ 2010-08-17  8:01       ` Matthias Brandt
From: Matthias Brandt @ 2010-08-17  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Am 08/17/2010 09:49 AM, schrieb Frank Terbeck:
> Matthias Brandt wrote:
> [...]
>>>      <http://zshwiki.org/home/examples/compquickstart>
> [...]
>> Sorry, but this doesn't help me. I've allready read some tutorials
>> about compsys, but I don't get any solution for my specific problem:
>> zsh should only complete until the first ambigous character.
>
> Well, you have to explain where your problem is with that setup...
>
> What that setup does this:
>
>      + Complete until the first non-ambiguous character, if possible.
>      + Show a list of possible completions, if there are only ambiguous
>        completions left and tab is pressed.
>      + If the list from the previous step is being displayed and tab is
>        hit again, enter that list as a browsable menu with a cursor you
>        can control with the keyboard's cursor keys.
>
> Point one and two sound a *lot* you're asking for. Point three is a
> little extra sugar, a lot of people like. You may want the menu to be
> shown right away after the first tab when all non-ambiguous characters
> have been inserted. If so, that's wasn't entirely clear to me.
I'm sorry. I've just tried the pastie and it didn't work for me. So now
I've tried it on a clean zsh installation et voila: it works like a
charm. Obviously i've got some other configuration which mixes it up...

Thank you for your patient support!

@ 2010-08-17  8:13 ` Guillaume Brunerie
From: Guillaume Brunerie @ 2010-08-17  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthias Brandt; +Cc: zsh-users