zsh-users
* How to capitalize last character of a string?
@ 2010-10-26 20:27 nix
From: nix @ 2010-10-26 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi, as the subject says, any guidance?

TEST="word"

print "${(C)TEST[1]}$TEST[2,-1]"

Capitalizes the first character but somehow I could not come up with
solution other way.

* Re: How to capitalize last character of a string?
@ 2010-10-26 20:49 ` Eric De Mund
From: Eric De Mund @ 2010-10-26 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users; +Cc: nix

nix,

nix@myproxylists.com writes:
] Subject: How to capitalize last character of a string?
] Hi, as the subject says, any guidance?
]
] TEST="word"
]
] print "${(C)TEST[1]}$TEST[2,-1]"
]
] Capitalizes the first character but somehow I could not come up with
] solution other way.

I'm not familiar with the syntax, but inferred the following. It seems
to work:

    % TEST="word"
    % print "$TEST[1,-2]${(C)TEST[-1]}"
    worD
    %

Regards,
Eric
--
Eric De Mund
ead@ixian.com

* Re: How to capitalize last character of a string?
@ 2010-10-26 21:42   ` nix
From: nix @ 2010-10-26 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

> nix,
>
> nix@myproxylists.com writes:
> ] Subject: How to capitalize last character of a string?
> ] Hi, as the subject says, any guidance?
> ]
> ] TEST="word"
> ]
> ] print "${(C)TEST[1]}$TEST[2,-1]"
> ]
> ] Capitalizes the first character but somehow I could not come up with
> ] solution other way.
>
> I'm not familiar with the syntax, but inferred the following. It seems
> to work:
>
>     % TEST="word"
>     % print "$TEST[1,-2]${(C)TEST[-1]}"
>     worD
>     %
>
> Regards,
> Eric
> --
> Eric De Mund
> ead@ixian.com

Thanks. Sorry for duplicate question (i sent earlier this same question
and some other gave a solution). It works yes.

I am really having trouble with these modifiers. Last question: How to
apply both macros (Capitalize the first and the last letter) ?

[CapitaL]

So the result would be: WorD

* Re: How to capitalize last character of a string?
@ 2010-10-26 21:56     ` Linus Arver
From: Linus Arver @ 2010-10-26 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nix; +Cc: zsh-users

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 2:42 PM,  <nix@myproxylists.com> wrote:
> Thanks. Sorry for duplicate question (i sent earlier this same question
> and some other gave a solution). It works yes.
>
> I am really having trouble with these modifiers. Last question: How to
> apply both macros (Capitalize the first and the last letter) ?
>
> [CapitaL]
>
> So the result would be: WorD

I'm pretty new to brace expansion myself, but by looking at your code
I figured it out:

TEST=word
print ${(C)TEST[1]}$TEST[2,-2]${(C)TEST[-1]}

output: WorD

-Linus

* Re: How to capitalize last character of a string?
@ 2010-10-26 13:08   ` Mikael Magnusson
From: Mikael Magnusson @ 2010-10-26 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On 26 October 2010 13:56, András Nemes <andras.nemes@gmail.com> wrote:
> nearly there.
>
> print "$TEST[1,-2]${(C)TEST[-1]}"
>
> On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 10:42 PM,  <nix@myproxylists.com> wrote:
>> Hi, as the subject says, any guidance?
>>
>> TEST="word"
>>
>> print "${(C)TEST[1]}$TEST[2,-1]"
>>
>> Capitalizes the first character but somehow I could not come up with
>> solution other way.

And if for some reason you want to capitalize the last letter of every
word in a sentence (really, when don't you want to do that?),

% TEST="this is a sentence"
thiS iS A sentencE

--
Mikael Magnusson

* Re: How to capitalize last character of a string?
@ 2010-10-26 11:56 ` András Nemes
From: András Nemes @ 2010-10-26 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

@ 2010-10-26 11:42 nix