OK, but at least it is hidden from the shell "UI". Take it as "man-looking-over-your shoulder" protection :-) For example you show something to someone, you do a backward history search and a command with a clear text password you forgot to exclude from history pops out... 2011/2/1 Mikael Magnusson > On 1 February 2011 22:15, Julien Nicoulaud > wrote: > > Some commands take passwords as option values, which is not very > secure... I > > was wondering if there is some way to handle that, for example through a > > custom completer. Ideally, I here is how it should behave: > > - When reaching an option which expected value is a password, prompt for > it > > and read it from stdin > > - Do not display it in the buffer (just replace it with "XXXX" for > example) > > - When accepting the buffer, replace the displayed buffer with the real > one > > - Save the displayed buffer in the history rather than the real one > > > > Does anyone have an idea on how to achieve this ? > > That doesn't actually achieve anything, the password is still visible > in /proc//cmdline. > > -- > Mikael Magnusson >