On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 2:12 AM, Simon Friedberger > wrote: > > This has several problems. For starters the first line fails with: > "widgets can only be called when ZLE is active" > Yeah, I don't know how to use set-local-history outside of a zle key binding. I'd imagine that you could use zle -U str to push a keystroke that runs "zle set-local-history 1", if you wanted to go to the trouble of setting that up, though. If there's a better way to do this, I haven't learned it. Then there seems to be a problem when repeatedly pressing ^r. Yeah, so going that route is probably not going to be easy. You'd probably be better off re-binding all the various up-/down-line-or-history bindings to use up-/down-line-or-local-history instead. ..wayne..