zsh-users
* Named Dirs Not Registered for Completion Until Used
@ 2004-05-01 17:43 Aaron Davies
From: Aaron Davies @ 2004-05-01 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

I'm trying to create a named dir ~palmfiles for my Palm installation
directory, and I have the following line in my .zprofile:

export palmfiles=~/Documents/Palm/Users/Aaron\ Davies/Files\ to\ Install

When I start a new shell, I can say

cd ~palmfiles

and it will work, but what I *can't* do initially is

cd ~pa<tab>

It just beeps. After I've done

cd ~palmfiles

the tab completion works.

In order to remedy this, I've added the following line to .zprofile:

hash -d palmfiles=~/Documents/Palm/Users/Aaron\ Davies/Files\ to\
Install

but according to the zsh docs, I shouldn't have to do this. What do I
need to do to make a named directory available for completion (=?
present in hash table) immediately after shell startup?
--
     __                        __
    /  )                      /  )

* Re: Named Dirs Not Registered for Completion Until Used
@ 2004-05-01 21:37 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2004-05-01 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On May 1,  1:43pm, Aaron Davies wrote:
}
} hash -d palmfiles=~/Documents/Palm/Users/Aaron\ Davies/Files\ to\ Install
}
} but according to the zsh docs, I shouldn't have to do this.

Can you give the citation from the docs that says so?

I think you may be misunderstanding the doc, but it could be that the doc
is wrong.  What you should be able to do is

zsh% cd ~palmfiles/<TAB>

and see a listing of the subdirs in that directory, without first having
to have used ~palmfiles.  But completing the parameter name of the named
directory without first using it has not to my knowledge ever worked,
unless you "setopt autonamedirs" so that the named directory springs into
existence as soon as you assign to it.

(I don't know whether that works with exported variables when imported
by new shells, though.)

* Re: Named Dirs Not Registered for Completion Until Used
@ 2004-05-02 20:01 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2004-05-02 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aaron Davies; +Cc: zsh-users

Aaron Davies wrote:
> When I start a new shell, I can say
>
> cd ~palmfiles
>
> and it will work, but what I *can't* do initially is
>
> cd ~pa<tab>
>
> It just beeps.

Put

  : ~palmfiles

somewhere after the definition of palmfiles in .zprofile.

--
Peter Stephenson <pws@pwstephenson.fsnet.co.uk>
Work: pws@csr.com

* Re: Named Dirs Not Registered for Completion Until Used
@ 2004-05-03  4:45   ` Aaron Davies
From: Aaron Davies @ 2004-05-03  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Sunday, May 2, 2004, at 04:01 PM, Peter Stephenson wrote:

> Aaron Davies wrote:
>
>> When I start a new shell, I can say
>>
>> cd ~palmfiles
>>
>> and it will work, but what I *can't* do initially is
>>
>> cd ~pa<tab>
>>
>> It just beeps.
>
> Put
>
>   : ~palmfiles
>
> somewhere after the definition of palmfiles in .zprofile.

Thanks that seems to do it.
--