zsh-users
* runtime problem with zsh on an sgi
@ 2004-04-09  0:35 William Scott
From: William Scott @ 2004-04-09  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi:

I currently have zsh 4.1.1 running on my SGI (Irix 6.5.xxx ) and it
works fine.

I just compiled and installed version 4.2 and when I hit the spacebar,
I get this:

^`^`^`^`

things like backspace work fine.  I am at a loss for where to begin.
Sorry if this is really basic.

Bill Scott

* Re: runtime problem with zsh on an sgi
@ 2004-04-15 10:35 ` Peter Stephenson
       [not found]   ` <5522.1082043459@trentino.logica.co.uk>
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2004-04-15 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Scott; +Cc: zsh-users

William Scott wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I currently have zsh 4.1.1 running on my SGI (Irix 6.5.xxx ) and it
> works fine.
>
> I just compiled and installed version 4.2 and when I hit the spacebar,
> I get this:
>
> ^`^`^`^`
>
> things like backspace work fine.  I am at a loss for where to begin.
> Sorry if this is really basic.

I don't think it's really basic...

It's possibly something to do with the libraries used for on-screen
formatting.  It may, for example, have been using termcap before and now
be using curses.

If you want to investigate (and I may be barking up the wrong tree),
look inside the file config.status.  You should find a line containing
@LIBS@ which tells what libraries are being linked in (e.g. -lcurses or
-ltermcap).

If that's changed, you could try
(1) changing the line in config.status to use termcap
(2) run ./config.status
(3) comment out the line
    #define HAVE_CURSES_H
    in config.h to stop it building the curses-specific stuff.

and rebuild.

However, it could well be something completely different.

CSR Ltd., Science Park, Milton Road,
Cambridge, CB4 0WH, UK                          Tel: +44 (0)1223 692070

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com

@ 2004-04-15 18:57     ` William Scott
From: William Scott @ 2004-04-15 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users; +Cc: Oliver Kiddle, Peter Stephenson

Dear Peter, Oliver et al:

Thanks very much.

It turns out in both cases (version 4.1.1, which works, and 4.2, which
has the problem) I am linking to libcurses.so.

For version 4.1.1 I have this:

% elfdump -Dl /usr/local/bin/zsh

/usr/local/bin/zsh:

.liblist :
[INDEX] Timestamp               Checksum        Flags   Name
Version
[1]     Apr 29 23:44:56 1998    0xd244571a      -----   libsocket.so
sgi1.0
[2]     Apr 29 21:05:51 1998    0x65b9334f      -----   libdl.so
sgi1.0
[3]     Aug  2 10:26:13 2002    0x64ff32c8      -----   libcurses.so
sgi1.0
[4]     Aug  2 10:26:24 2002    0xa74005b5      -----   libm.so sgi1.0
[5]     Apr  4 11:20:43 2002    0xe5db3147      -----   libc.so.1
sgi1.0
proudhon 3% which zsh
/usr/local/bin/zsh

For version 4.2, I have this:

% elfdump -Dl /usr/bin/zsh

/usr/bin/zsh:

.liblist :
[INDEX] Timestamp               Checksum        Flags   Name
Version
[1]     Apr 29 23:44:56 1998    0xd244571a      -----   libsocket.so
sgi1.0
[2]     Apr 29 21:05:51 1998    0x65b9334f      -----   libdl.so
sgi1.0
[3]     Aug  1 11:46:52 2002    0x64ff32c8      -----   libcurses.so
sgi1.0
[4]     Aug  1 11:47:02 2002    0xa74005b5      -----   libm.so sgi1.0
[5]     Apr  4 11:20:43 2002    0xe5db3147      -----   libc.so.1
sgi1.0

These are actually on two different machines, but normally both behave
identically.

Also I noticed the version of zsh 4.2 on my Mac (which works as
expected) compiles with ncurses.  Would that make a difference?  Should
I try with termcap (I am not sure if SGI has these).

Thanks very much for your help.

Bill Scott