Hello Zsh-people, oh yes, I like Marcs ideas... please rewrite Zsh in Rust and give us lambdas and the other things mentioned. That sounds like a proper (unpaid) project for the next quarter-decade. Greetings On 19 June 2018 at 11:12, Marc Chantreux wrote: > hello people, > > > The problem with that is none of the core zsh developers have > > ever asked for contributions in a quarter century of its existence, > > and all are unpaid volunteers. > > well ... i am a zsh user since circa 2001 and always felt i didn't gave > zsh enough (same for perl, vim, linux, dwm, gnome and all those awesome > software that gave me 20 years of fun using floss). > > i only have 1 patch in zsh, i don't really contribute to zsh but i try > to be active in the ecosystem > > * support french users > * promote zsh in technical mailing lists, local meetups and > other conferences > (http://act.perlconference.org/tpc-2018-glasgow/talk/7338) > * start writing a zsh programming guide > (https://github.com/eiro/zsh-programming-guide) > * start writing a plugin system with a very opiniated coding style > (as perlish as we can) (https://github.com/zsh-uze) > > basically, i try to spend some of the time i spared using zsh to promote > it because ... gosh ... when i have to read some bash/ksh/sh/posix code, > my eyes are bleeding and i really want to see more zsh outzere. > > i started a list of things i would like to see appearing in zsh here > > https://github.com/eiro/zsh-programming-guide/blob/master/ > c/wishlist.md > > and i guess some topics means huge work so unpaid patches coming time to > time are not enough. > > and i wonder if this is worth a founding campain... and to be honnest, > sometimes i also wonder if a fresh start using a modern langage (like > crystal or rust) > should be an option. there is the elvish shell > (https://github.com/elves/elvish) written in go as example but i really > think it took many wrong directions: basically, the perfect shell to me > should be zsh with > > * nested structures > * namespaces > * lambdas > * function signatures (ideally with gradual typing where a type should > be defined as 2 lambdas: serialize and deserialize) > > but maybe this whole thing should have a dark side: if someone is paid > for this, why should i contrib for free, ones should ask. > > regards, > marc >