Hi all, After having to rebuild my system, I was unable to build zsh from source. Web searches were getting me no where. Checking man pages, guide, faq, and anything else I could think of reading, again nothing. Since I have another life, besides zsh, I would come back to this as time permitted. I finally found from the 2002 archives: http://www.zsh.org/mla/workers/2002/msg00922.html http://www.zsh.org/mla/workers/2002/msg00924.html Bart's reply. Not exactly the same as back in 2002, but it was the key for me. I had been testing different shells to be used as the default "sh" on my system. The last one I was testing before starting zsh builds was "posh". Out of the six shells(bash,dash,ksh,mksh,posh,zsh) I have installed, posh is the only shell that fails in the same way as described in the archives. Bad luck? Murphy's Law? Not sure what can or should be done. I thought I would at least report it. I just wish it had been easier to find. Sincerely, Jim Murphy