Me again, On Sun, Mar 26, 2023 at 10:49 AM Roman Perepelitsa < roman.perepelitsa@gmail.com> wrote: > On Sun, Mar 26, 2023 at 5:28 PM Jim wrote: > > > > cvt_256_colors_2_rgb_hex_fmt | less > > In this command both cvt_256_colors_2_rgb_hex_fmt and less are going > to read and write to the same TTY. This won't do anything useful. > > Perhaps you don't realize that your `read` command reads and writes to > the TTY? What do you expect from running it simultaneously with less? > > Roman. > Now I'm totally confused. A bit by your answer and the word 'simultaneously' as I thought the function would run first then less. That set aside I dug back into a previous function I was working on that used the same read statement. And yet that function when piped through less, less worked as expected. Both functions did 'basically' the same thing with a somewhat different output. The one main difference was I had done a few checks before the read command which included this: V=$(ps -o args= $(ps -o ppid= $$)) So I added it before the read. Now 'less' responds as expected. I hope you are not as confused as I am. Especially as the command is run before the read and not after. Also removed the sleep command. ???? Again thanks for your help, Jim