Hi everyone, First, admittedly what I'm trying to do can be done in a regular function without an issue. That said, I just hate giving up trying to make it work.(sorry) In my .aliases file I have a number of alias/anon_functions defined. This is so I can pass an arg using an alias, as an alias can not accept arguments. This normally works well, but I ran into an issue when within the anon_function I tried to set a parameter with ansi data. e.g. Var=$'\e[' When trying to read in the aliases form my .aliases file I get the following: . ~/.aliases /home/user/.aliases:: bad pattern: name=() Var=$\e[' Have tried a number of different quoting changes, like: "\" in front of single quotes using double quotes instead of single quotes in different places (not sure if I was doing this correctly ... but tried anyway) So far everything I have tried hasn't worked. FYI, the alias itself is using single quotes to surround the anon_function. alias name='(){ ... }' Q: Is something like this possible? If so, does anyone have an idea how to do this? Note: This is not critical, just annoying that "I" can't figure it out. Thanks, and best regards to all, Jim Murphy