Hi everyone, While working on my .zshenv file I discovered something strange that I can't explain. The changes(still a work in progress) had a glob that took some time to complete and won't be there when I finish. This made it quite noticeable. Everything I was doing in a zsh instance seemed to work normally with one notable exception, that I know of. % less $file # executes .zshenv before outputting content of file If .zshrc has some "test" print statement(s), they are outputs and not the file?? % < $file outputs file and pipes it through less ? I should remember why, anyway! % cat $file outputs content of file as expected % more $file outputs content of file as expected What I can't figure out is why zsh/"less" does what it does. Could someone enlighten me? Is there a way of "tracing" what is happening? BTW "less" is not an alias or function. Distribution: Devuan ZSH_VERSION 5.8 ZSH_PATCHLEVEL debian/5.8-6+deb11u1 LESS='-R -M --shift 5' LESSOPEN='|lesspipe %s' Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. Jim Murphy