On Mon, Aug 22, 2022 at 10:36 PM Lawrence Velázquez wrote: > On Mon, Aug 22, 2022, at 10:11 PM, Jim wrote: > is normal for an anonymous function? > > This is not just about anonymous functions. You can observe the > same behavior with regular functions and other complex commands. > > Lawrence, Thanks for responding. Guess this is what I get for always having interactive_comments set while in interactive mode. Just assumed it was the way it should work. You know what they say about assuming. DON'T! - Comment removal is performed during parsing. Thus, setting and > unsetting INTERACTIVE_COMMENTS changes how parsing is done. > - A complex command is parsed *in its entirety* before *any* of its > commands are executed. Thus, a command within a complex command > cannot affect how the rest of the complex command is parsed. > > Therefore, a complex command cannot enable or disable comments > within itself. It can affect subsequent commands, though: > Need to let this sink in a bit. Having a problem with how 'parsing' takes place with interactive/complex commands. If this is the case, it is what it is then. I don't know whether any of this is explicitly described in the > documentation. > I did find this. Missed it on previous searches do to the hyphenation. COMMENTS In non-interactive shells, or in interactive shells with the INTERAC‐ TIVE_COMMENTS option set, a word beginning with the third character of the histchars parameter (`#' by default) causes that word and all the following characters up to a newline to be ignored. Blanket statement for sure. Doesn't get into any detail. Regards, Jim