zsh-users
From: Jim <linux.tech.guy@gmail.com>
To: zsh <zsh-users@zsh.org>
Subject: Re: glob inside nested parameter expansion returns glob string
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 15:37:11 -0500	[thread overview]

Thanks everyone for the responses.

On Thu, Apr 21, 2022 at 2:15 PM Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 21, 2022 at 11:51 AM Mikael Magnusson <mikachu@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > On 4/21/22, Jim <linux.tech.guy@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > % A=(${:-.z*(.N)})
> > > % A=(${A:#*(comp|hist)*})
> > >
> > > Is there a way to nest the two?
> >
> > There is a certain order that parameter expansions and globs happen
> > relative to eachother [...] In short, no(t as far as I know).
>
> Correct, this can't be done as a nested expansion, except by invoking
> a subshell to perform the globbing.
>
> A=(${${(@f):-$(print -rl .z*(.N))}:#*(comp|hist)*})

Came fairly close on this one while trying different ways.  Didn't use a
print
command. :-(

However, with extendedglob this specific example can be done entirely
> with globbing:
>
> A=( .z*~*(comp|hist)*(.N) )

Is there a typo or something missing here? This didn't find any files when I
cut and pasted it in a shell.

ZSH_VERSION  5.8
ZSH_PATCHLEVEL  debian/5.8-6+deb11u1

Again, thanks,