Hi everyone, I hope I am not reading more into this than was the original intent. The CONDITIONAL EXPRESSIONS '-n string' and '-z string' both allow 'string' to be either a literal string(quoted or not) or a parameter. Parameter Expansion Flags 'r' and 'l' for 'string1' and 'string2' appear only to allow literal strings. And, quotes are considered part of said string. The only special character that I found that works, so far, is a backslash(\). Is this an inconsistent use of the term string, or am I missing something? I was hoping to use a parameter as 'string?' to generate padding, but ended up using a loop instead. Is there any reason why a parameter wouldn't work other than the code not supporting it? Thanks, Jim Murphy