Hello, The intent is, using only "native zsh" tools, return the 'shell' as set in /etc/passwd for my own $USER without using any external utilities, gnu or otherwise. As in UNIX/Linux, zsh also has more then one way of doing the same thing. So as a training exercise I decided to use as many variants as I could to do the same thing. In the process I found that what I though would work, did not return the intended result. A number of attempts to fix, ended up producing, if nothing else, syntax errors. Some of my early trial and error, was not so successful, so I ended up testing quite a few variations of quoting, patterns, etc... in an attempt to determine what was going on. From the examples below you will see a couple of different patterns and subscript numbers and quoting around '${(f)$(