What the . . . oh, I had *history* aliased for some reason, to *history -t %FT%T 0*. Convenient when I type it by itself, but too late for *-m* by the end of it; I so rarely use the command that I didn't notice I'd restricted myself that way. Sorry for the added confusion. (I replaced it with a function that only adds those arguments if I didn't supply any already.) I still think from Ray's mention of "words" that he was reading documentation about history expansion rather than pattern-matching. So, OK, *-m* option restricts the list of history entries printed out to those matching the pattern. The argument is a glob pattern of the sort used to match files, not a regular expression. Even if it were a regular expression, though, *^ * and *$* would still match everything, since every string has a beginning and an end. So I'm not clear what your goal was. If you have *extendedglob* turned on, then *^ *is negation; *^foo* matches anything that doesn't match *foo*, so *^* again matches everything. If you don't have *extendedglob* turned on, it's not special at all, and *^* looks for an entry exactly equal to nothing but "*^*". And *$* is not special either way, so that is again looking for an entry consisting of nothing but a single dollar sign, and not surprisingly failing to find one. On Tue, Jun 4, 2024 at 4:21 PM Lawrence Velázquez wrote: > On Tue, Jun 4, 2024, at 3:49 PM, Ray Andrews wrote: > > On 2024-06-04 11:12, Mark J. Reed wrote: > >> What's "history -m"? Doesn't that just look for items in the history > >> containing "-m"? > > The Devil! Had that in my function for years, thought it meant 'pattern > > following'. Nuts, it works: > > > > 5 /aWorking/Zsh/Source/Wk 1 % history -rn "grep*" 1 > > fc: event not found: grep* > > > > 5 /aWorking/Zsh/Source/Wk 1 % history -rnm "grep*" 1 > > grep c52f */idProduct > > grep c52f > > grep c349 */idProduct > > ... > > > > ... but I can't find it in the doc :( A few examples would be so > helpful. > > See the description of "fc" in zshbuiltins(1). No examples, though. > > -- > vq > > -- Mark J. Reed